O'Day Widgeon question

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

O'Day Widgeon question

Postby Brian S » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:55 pm

Hey, I know this is a DaySailer association, but thus far I havn't found a comparable site to help me with my Widgeon question.

I just bought an old Widgeon and the drop center board isn't dropping. I suspect the DaySailer has a simular mechanism. Looks like it hindges on a large bolt and then a line is used to raise it. I assume that when I remove tension from that line the center bd should drop but it does not. There is a molded cover over this assy, but I do not see how to remove it.

Ideas, suggestions?

Thanks
Brian
Brian S

Postby shawn » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:43 am

The centerboard on DS's is not weighted so either there are 2 lines (1 up/ 1 down) or a lever to get the board down. Not sure what you have, but if you flip the boat on her side you should be able to work it out.

Shawn
shawn

Widgeon is similar, not same

Postby SUNBIRD » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:14 am

Yes, the centerboard should be able to go down almost vertical. The lines that control the cb are rigged somewhat the same on a 1971-88 Widgeon as they were on the DS II from 1974-85 and the DS III from 1986-90.
First, that "cap" over the top of the CB trunk is not removable, and even if you did, it is bonded onto a closed trunk, in other words, it does not give access to the inside of the cb trunk. My guess is that the CB is jambed either by dirt and growth inside the trunk, or by one of the control lines being jambed between the cb and the inside of the trunk. Actually, one other possibility, a previous owner may have removed the CB at some time and not re-installed it correctly. The Widgeon and DS centerboards that are controlled by lines pivot on a plastic (Teflon?) bushing, not the bolt through the cb trunk, the bolt secures the bushing in place, the CB pivots round that bushing. In order for this to work, the bushing must be slightly (about 1/8-1/4") longer than the CB is thick (depending on inside width of CB trunk. This way the bolt will clamp tight against the bushing to help seal the bolt hole, but it will still allow the CB to move/pivot.
I'd advise taking the boat off the trailer, roll her over against a wall and try to extend the CB by pulling it from the outside, with the lines loose. You may be able to free it up. I have a coulpe of diagrams and pictures of how the lines are rigged and can send them to you if needed. I also have the same info available for the DS II and III.
Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II, # 10201
SUNBIRD

Postby lfuechtm » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Hello Sunbird,

I would be interested in a diagram of the Widgeon centerboard control lines.

Thanks a million ,

Bud
lfuechtm

Return to Repair and Improvement