Bilge drain hole on DSII

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bilge drain hole on DSII

Postby JGREGORY@PARKER.COM » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:48 pm

The DSII that I got this year has the bilge drain filled in, so I am missing the fitting too. Is this something I should attempt to return back to original?

Was outside at lunch... Perfect conditions, will probably be 4 hours before I can get out on the water.

Thanks,
John Gregory
Portage (Kalamazoo), MI
JGREGORY@PARKER.COM

Postby adam aunins » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 am

I would put a drain back in, but on the other side of that with no drain you'll never go to the lake with out your drainplug!
adam aunins

How do I get around the cockpit drain?

Postby JGREGORY@PARKER.COM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:53 pm

Fantastic day sailing on Austin Lake in Portage, MI yesterday...

I can see drilling the filler out... There must have been a path around the cockpit drain that goes through the floor, or is the layup not solid between the raised part of the cockpit floor and the transom. I think someone said before that there was a plastic tube connecting the bilge to the drain. Is this something that can easily be kept unplugged if fiberglass parts get into it?
JGREGORY@PARKER.COM

I found a previous post from Roger

Postby JGREGORY@PARKER.COM » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:58 am

I found where Roger answered my question previously. I will not worry about the bilge drain for now, as there doesn't seem to be much water getting in there. There is some though, which I assume is coming from the usual centerboard boat or downhaul.

Thanks.
John
JGREGORY@PARKER.COM

Cockpit and bilge drains

Postby persephone » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Howdy,
Hope you can pardon a ds1 guy poking around in the ds2 posts. I did have a later javelin before the ds, and I believe they are similar.
The transom rotted on the jav, and before I got my wits about me and bought a ds I was going to fix it. When I removed the transom here is what I discovered.
The inner and outer hull were separated by about 1 inch at the sump of the cockpit (lowest point at the back where the water collects). This space is filled with an epoxy mixture (looked like a composite of epoxy, wood shavings and the sweepings off the floor the night before...). That is what the self bailer is mounted through. Forward of that the inner hull is open up to the c/b trunk.
On the jav there was one inner hull drain high and to the starboard side. Unfortunately it was located just outside the longitudinal reinforcing rib, so no mater how high up you tilted the bow the inner hull would never drain completely.
To compound the problem, and this is the blight of the javelin guys, the factory did not always do a perfect job sealing off the transom wood from the bilge area. Hence all the javs with rotted transoms.
I don't know just how close the later javs and ds2s are but I have pictures of the hull with the transom removed if anybody thinks they might be helpful.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Return to Repair and Improvement