Topping Lift

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Topping Lift

Postby Glenn » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:28 pm

I am already tired of dealing with the boom crutch after less than 6 months ownership of my 89 DS3. Anyone ever added a topping lift? I can't think of any reason against doing it. Let me know if you can think of any. If you have installed one what materials did you use? Since I trailer sail it needs to be easily removed from the boom end. I wonder if it needs to be adjustable. It sure would make single handling much easier. There might even be lazy jacks in it's future. Probably not. :?:

Glenn
Medford, NJ
SV Deja Vu
Glenn

Postby algonquin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 am

I would be concerned about the amount of additional windage/weight that would result from lazy jack gear hung high on a light DS type boat. The lazy jack setup is really for a heavier hull design.

A topping lift can be simple, light, and easy on the wallet. On my DS1 I secured a light 1/8 inch line at the mast head and run it down to the aft end of the boom where it runs through a small block then forward along the boom to a simple cleat. It can be easily adjusted from the tiller position. Pull the line and the boom easily raises then secure the line to the cleat. Put a little slack in the line while under sail. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Repair and Improvement