DS II Hull Repairs/Self Bailer

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS II Hull Repairs/Self Bailer

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 1998 1:00 am

I have an O'Day Daysailor (circa 1983) that needs some attention.

The automatic bailer, through the double-hull Pergia, is stuck in the open (bailing) position. The bailer looks like a threaded sink stopper that is turned to open and close. I think there is some salt-water corrosion that is preventing the bailer from turning.

The second problem involves the jib sheet track. The track is approximately 12" long and is fastened to the inner cockpit wall by several screws. The area behind the track is inaccessible due to the double hull design. There are very large Phillips head screws at each end of the track which act as stoppers for the jib sheet fairlead/jamcleat car. The end screws do not back out completely and I am concerned that there is a backing plate that will drop off even if I am successful in removing the screws. If this happens, the structural integrity of the track will be compromised. I need to remove the screws on one track to repair/replace the car. Also, I am considering replacing the tracks with longer ones to facilitate single-handed sailing with both mainsail/jib.

Can anyone offer suggestions that will help me make the repairs?

Jim Hearney (BayBoy362-at-AOL.COM)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 07, 2001 11:29 am

I am sure you've resolved your jib track problem, but for later readers: the tracks on my 1975 DSII are secured with bolts at each end, and screws in the middle points. On the inside of the hull, they penetrate a plywood backing.

When my jib track started falling off, I had to drill four-inch "inspection ports" through the hull to access the underside of the jib track, scrape off the failing wooden plywood backing (tough job - couldn't get it all off), and resecure with new hardware and new wooden backing plate.

Christopher Gray
Vineyard Haven & NYC

Christopher Gray (MetHistory-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 10, 2001 11:54 am

There is indeed a backing plate behind the end bolts on the jib track. If you remove the bolt you will hear it fall down into the abiss. At West Marine they have a stainless steel toggler, which someone invented for just such a circumstance. Al you have to do is drill a small hole, which you can fill out with 5200 or such and insert your new backing. You don't need to cut a large "inspection port".

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement