Cruising questions

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cruising questions

Postby thomas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:06 pm

I'd like to hear from anyone who is or has actively cruised their DS. Specifially, I'd like to hear about rigging accomodations for sleeping aboard, like boom tents , flat floors or sleeping platforms. Also anyone who's built or bought a Bimini for their daysailer.
Anyone?

thomas
thomas

Postby adam aunins » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Sometimes I will take the boat out with no mast to just motor around with the kids. The last time I was out doing that I thought of building a canopy that could mount into two sets of oar locks forward and aft. That's as far as I got with it though "just thinking". I don't know how well it would work if it had to clear a boom.
adam aunins

DS II cruising lake champlain

Postby Roger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:24 pm

The current issue of Small Craft Advisor (Issue 53) has an article by Steve Huff cruising his DS II 62 miles on Lake Champlain over 3 days.
Roger

Re: DS II cruising lake champlain

Postby algonquin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:53 am

Roger wrote:The current issue of Small Craft Advisor (Issue 53) has an article by Steve Huff cruising his DS II 62 miles on Lake Champlain over 3 days.

Looks more like a DS1 to me but maybe I'm confused :shock: Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

I posted that before reading the article.

Postby Roger » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:12 am

It is indeed a DS I not a DS II as I cited in my previous post. Small Craft Advisor, and previous to it Small Boat Journal tended to have a lot of articles on boat camping. Essentially the principles are similar to backpacking, keeping thing light, waterproof and stored portably in managable watertight containers. Most people sleep ashore, use pelican boxes or rubbermaid style tubs, and light weight camping gear such as white gas or butane stoves and nesting pots etc. Freeze dried foods and other dry goods, pasta, rice, jerky seem to be staples.
Roger

Postby talbot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:11 pm

I agree that sail camping on the DSII is a bit like backpacking. However I'm afraid that as we age, we are making more and more use of the boat's large cuddy.

We've gone from the mountain tent, backpacking stove, and freeze dried food to a family tent with floor rug, camp chairs, 2-burner coleman, lantern, and blueberry pancakes cooked on a cast iron griddle. Three days is a typical cruise. If we had a smaller boat, we might have preserved some sense of discipline. I actually believe in going light with just the minimal essentials. So I'm not advocating this sort of moral collapse. I'm just reporting on it.

The DS is rated for a 600-lb payload. My wife and I account for about half of that and I don't think we have close to 300lbs of gear, even with all the luxuries. The only issues (besides lugging the stuff up from the shore) has been balance. We pack the heavy stuff close to the mast, hold it in place with fluffier things, and save some big chunks (like the anchor and water jugs) to put in the stern to balance the loaded cuddy.
talbot

Return to Repair and Improvement