mounting bracket for outboard, DSII

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

mounting bracket for outboard, DSII

Postby kcartaxo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:00 am

I have a 2.5hp outboard I want to mount on my DSII. I've seen spring loaded brackets that alow you to pull the motor out of the water while sailing. They keep the motor out off the stern. Can you tell me where and which one to purchase?
Ken
kcartaxo

Postby Sean McGuire » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:40 am

Hi Ken,

Most of the mounts I have seen on Daysailers don't move up and down. Generally the motors have pivots that allow you to rotate the top of the motor forward to get the prop out of the water. Since the DS doesn't have very much freeboard on the transom (maybe 10 inches), I don't think a spring-loaded one that goes up and down would work very well. When it was in the up position, the top of the motor would have to be almost above your head I would think. This would change the center of gravity on the boat too much and make it tippy. My mount is a U-shaped piece of metal with through-bolts on the transom and 2 posts going aft to a metal plate that the motor is attached to that is 2-3 inches higher than the transom. I think this height difference is the main reason to have a mount.

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
Sean McGuire

Postby kcartaxo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks Sean,
Any sugestions where I could get such or similar mount?
Ken
Sean McGuire wrote:Hi Ken,

Most of the mounts I have seen on Daysailers don't move up and down. Generally the motors have pivots that allow you to rotate the top of the motor forward to get the prop out of the water. Since the DS doesn't have very much freeboard on the transom (maybe 10 inches), I don't think a spring-loaded one that goes up and down would work very well. When it was in the up position, the top of the motor would have to be almost above your head I would think. This would change the center of gravity on the boat too much and make it tippy. My mount is a U-shaped piece of metal with through-bolts on the transom and 2 posts going aft to a metal plate that the motor is attached to that is 2-3 inches higher than the transom. I think this height difference is the main reason to have a mount.

Sean McGuire
1984 DSII "Iona"
kcartaxo

plywood motor mount

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm

If you'll send me your e-mail address to roger02 att mts dott net, I will send you a few pics of my plywood motor mount (not sophisticated) that was through bolted to the transom. Its all you need, and since the freeboard is so low, its all that is required. Further, a spring loaded mount places the motor furhter back and the boat trim is negatively affected.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement