Shroud and Forestay repair

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Shroud and Forestay repair

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 09, 2000 12:00 am

The used O'Day II I bought came with the shrouds loose. When trying to tighten them with the knurl knob, I discovered the threads were stripped, and only could tighten the shrouds so far. Sitting in a high-wake zone of a lake, the shrouds have become more loose, and now, the forestay has started to seperate near the top of the mast. Is this a clear case of "replace everything", and if so, where are the parts, how do I order (length, or SN of boat?) and what is involved in making the replacement?

Sam Wintergreen (mrwintergreen-at-altavista.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:00 am

Dear Sam,
I would say that it is a good time to replace the standing rigging on your DS. I am of the belief that if it is starting to show wear, definitely replace it because it will cost alot less than a new mast! I recently replaced my standing rigging. I would suggest measuring the old ones and then calling one of the parts links listed on this website. The rigging diagram should give you the correct measurements and then ask if you can sjhorten them sufficiently. I added turnbuckles to my DS1, and this adds a great deal of adjustment, but I believe this may disqualify your DS for racing. Good luck.

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 15, 2000 12:00 am

Sam;
I had to replace the shrouds on my DSll. I got them from D&R Marine. You don't have to measure anything, just tell them your hull no. and they will send you exact replacements, and the prices are very good. As you may have read, Rudy at D&R used to work for O'day and knows everything about these boats.

Smooth Sailing!
Dick Gaylor

Dick Gaylor (rgaylor1-at-compuserve)

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 16, 2000 12:00 am

I took everything off the boat, and took them to the local boat-yard. They replaced it all for $140, which included $50 of labor. A bit more than I was hoping for, but having neither the experience or the tools to attach the wire to the hardware, it was the easiest route. -sam

Sam Wintergreen (mrwintergreen-at-altavista.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement