Self -draining vs self-bailing

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Self -draining vs self-bailing

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:00 am

I am considering purchasing a spindrift '84 DS. Can anyone tell me if the cockpit is self draining when at a mooring? I know about self-bailing when under way, but will need to leave the boat on a mooring and I will not be available to pump her out. The boat is 600 miles away so I can't just plain look at it yet. Thanks vm Richg99@att.net

Rich Gross (richg99-at-att.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:00 am

Rich,

No, your Spindrift is not self-draining. You'll need to verify that the CB gasket does not leak and keep the boat covered or you may drive up to find the boat swamped...

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791 (an '84 Spindrift)

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2000 12:00 am

Only the Day Sailer II and Day Sailer III are "self-bailing", the DS I and DS IV (current model) are not self-bailing at rest. The New DS model built by Cape Cod Shipbuilding does have a cockpit bailer, but it only works when the boat is moving. This goes as well for the boats built by SUNFISH-LASER (1991-1995)

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2000 12:00 am

I have an older Day Sailor I, is it possible to retrofit a self-bailing system. The boat is moored all Summer and tends to acumulate alot of rain water since it is uncovered.

Bob Wilson (RWilson-at-fsc.edu)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2000 12:00 am

Bob,

Making a DS1 self-bailing would be prohibitively expensive. You'd be much better off selling your boat and buying a DS2 w/ all that flotation built into the floor. While on the subject, a lot of long-legged folks don't like DS2's because that extra flotation cuts into your leg room. Now, back to your problem. Buy an 8'x10' tarp at Walmart for $15, slap it over your boom w/ a few bungie cords, and your rain problem is solved. You can use a boom crutch or topping lift to support the boom. I use my main halyard as a topping lift when I keep my boat in the water overnight.... If you have water leaking past your centerboard gasket, replace it, and you should be in good shape for mooring.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement