help!, jib sheet catches on tabernacle

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

help!, jib sheet catches on tabernacle

Postby Osprayer » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:10 pm

I am seeks advice on solving the following problem, my jib sheets become caught on the tabernacle during each change in tack. Has anyone experienced this? Are there any covers available that can be placed over the tabernacle to solve the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Osprayer

Postby Geronimo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:02 am

Hello,
My solution cured 90% of jib sheets getting caught during tacks. I always only use the aft pin in the tabernacle. That leaves the forward pin holes open. I run a 3/16" line from the bottom of one turnbuckle through the forward holes of the tabernacle and on to the other turnbuckle. The more tension on this line, the better.

I almost never get hung up while going to weather. It still hangs up occasionally on a reach to reach tack.

Good luck.
Andy from the Jersey Shore
"oofah!" DS-1 #3877
Geronimo

Postby seandwyer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Admitedly, I am as new to this as I possibly can be, having at this point only a verbal agreement for the purchase of my first Daysailer (it's under a tarp and 2 feet of snow at the moment) - but I have to ask - what is a tabernacle? Are you guys talking about the hinged area that the mast goes into or is this something else?

Thanks - and sorry for the novitiate nature of my question. I wish I had an answer for you!
seandwyer

Postby Geronimo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Yes, we are talking about the hinged (pinned) joint just above the cabin top. The jib sheets have a tendancy to get caught the corners of this fitting when tacking.
Andy from the Jersey Shore
"oofah!" DS-1 #3877
Geronimo

Postby algonquin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 am

Welcome seandywer ! :)

The tabernacle on a DS sits just above the cuddy roof. It is a hinge of sorts that allows easier raising and lowering of the mast. The tabernacle, although similar to a mast step on some sailboats rests on a short section of mast that extends down through the cuddy to a mast jack in the base of the hull. This short section of mast extends up through the cuddy a few inches or more and at that point the tabernacle is connected. A mast step usually is mounted directly on the cuddy with a compression post just below the cuddy roof that extends to the hull but that is not common on these boats. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Re: help!, jib sheet catches on tabernacle

Postby algonquin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:32 am

Osprayer wrote:I am seeks advice on solving the following problem, my jib sheets become caught on the tabernacle during each change in tack. Has anyone experienced this? Are there any covers available that can be placed over the tabernacle to solve the problem? Any help is appreciated.

I feel your pain. :cry:

If you leave your boat in the water for the season you can wrap a few layers of strong tape (duct tape for example) around the tabernacle.

However if you trailer and launch often like I do I wrap a small terry cloth towel over the tabernacle and use a plastic tie just aft of the mast to secure the ends. :) Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

jib sheet hanging up on mast hinge

Postby adam aunins » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:33 am

I've heard of cutting a section of inner-tube to make a big rubber band that you put around the hinge so that it covers the pins and clips and smooths things out. If the air is not to heavy I will use the slack or off side jib sheet to pull the jib past the mast as I start to tack and once it's past I'll release the other sheet and hall in the new working one.
adam aunins

Postby seandwyer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks for the explanation everyone - Brad especially - I guess this is something I will need to keep in mind - as soon as things thaw out!
seandwyer

neoprene boot

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:44 pm

I have a homemade neoprene boot that has Velcro fasteners. This works really well. It's quick and easy.

KC
K.C. Walker

catching jib sheets

Postby Roger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:22 pm

The issue is fairly common to this boat. The shield as others have mentioned and tight line to guide the sheets above the catching corner of the tabernacle are a great solution. I have also found that the faster the tack... (a snappy tack) will often not have the sheets catch. To do a snappy tack you do not release the working jib sheet until the jib is almost backing, ie the boat is head to wind. You also tack very quickly... helm hard over, so that when the wind catches the new side of the jib it snaps over flailing the old sheet behind it. You have to be quick on the new working sheet to trim it asap.

I personally cut a popl bleach bottle to act as a shield. The 2 litre size worked well, cut the top and bottom off and slip the tube around the base of the mast the next time it is down. Gravity causes the tube to slide down and cover the tabernacle corners... looks ugly as sin though! :)
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement