adding rail mounted jib cleats

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

adding rail mounted jib cleats

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 19, 2000 12:00 am

On a DS with cuddy-mounted jib cleats, how would one go about moving the jib sheet controls further back and to the outside rails? Is this something that one can do himself, or is it a matter for a professional to add? Rail-mounted jib leads would be a lot easier to reach for single-handed sailing. I am thinking particularly of the Spindrifts, in case there is any difference in their deck-hull connection from the O'Day's. I believe the O'Days already have rail-mounted jib controls.

Ken Cobb (kcobb-at-bspmlaw.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Jul 20, 2000 12:00 am

I learned a great way to do this on my Spindrift DS (#11750), and I didn''t need a professional to help. I wish I could show you a picture, but I can't, So I'll try to describe it in words:

1. Take a 1 ft. length of track with a corresponding car, (I used 5/8" wide Schaeffer) and attach it to the combing at the forward edge of the cockpit. If you have a double hull Spindrift, you can secure the track to the combing and fiberglass beneath using nuts and bolts for the forward end of the track. For the aft end, use wood screws or sheet metal screws. I was a bit concerned about the wood screws pulling out, but so far it's been very solid. If you have a single hull, it will be easier - use nuts and bolts all the way.

2. To the car attach a swivel mounted block.

3. On the underside of the cuddy, no more than 1 foot forward of the aft edge and as far outboard as you can place it , attach another swivel mounted block.

4. Take your jib cleat, remove it from the top of the cuddy and turn it upside down. Re-attach to the underside of the cuddy using the existing holes. You may need to use shorter bolts, and it would be a nice touch to cover the exposed ends of the bolts with acorn nuts.

5. When you rig the jib sheet, it will first run from the clew of the jib to the block on the track, then forward to the block on the underside of the cuddy, then to the cleat. It will have a sort of zig-zag path to it.

6. Do the same thing for the other side.

Notes:
If you have inhaulers (a.k.a. barberhaulers) you will run the sheet through the inhauler before you reeve it through the blocks.
If you have a spinnaker launched from a turtle (aka laundry basket, 5 gallon bucket etc.), make sure the spinnaker sheets and halyard are placed on top and inboard of the jib sheets.

I changed over to this system from the old cuddy top in mid May. Since then, I've seen a noticable increase in speed, especially while reaching. My crew likes it a lot more because the angle that the cleats now have make it much easier for her to release the sheet. It also gets more rigging out of the wind. It uses the existing jib cleats and their boltholes, so I don't need to fill them.

I didn't come up with this system myself, so I'll give credit where it's due: Manuel LaBlanc, Andy Katz and Kevin Clark of Arlington, TX fleet 64 showed me this system. Thanks to them!

-Fair winds & following seas,
Bob Hunkins
Fleet 25, Houston, TX
DS #11750 "Surprise"
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Jul 20, 2000 12:00 am

I forgot to mention that with this method, I'm able to reach the jib cleats pretty easily, too. I don't single hand much, but it's much better than placing the cleats on the thwarts, which I've seen often.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 25, 2000 4:16 pm

Bob,

My Spindrift DS I is #11745 so our boats must be siblings. I singlehand my boat more often than not. I've found that even with the cuddy mounted jib cleats the boat is okay to sail by myself. I simply cross the jib sheets over the centerboard trunk. For example, the starboard jib sheet crosses over the centerboard and rests aft of the port thwart. The port jib sheet, well, you get the idea. The sheets are long enough to more or less stay in place. Of course I'm not racing when I do this, but it seems to work fine for daysailing.

Vince

Vince Demperio (vincent.demperio-at-bms.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2000 9:45 am

Vince,

In light winds my Spindrift cuddy-mounted jib cleats were fine, but wind the wind picks up and you're heeled over it can be very difficult to release the jib sheets. I added a track and turning block on the seatbacks and cleat at the centerboard now. MUCH easier for me now...

Kevin Clark
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement