installing a bailer?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

installing a bailer?

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat May 09, 2009 5:01 pm

Has anyone installed a bailer on a DS1? Something like this http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/me ... e=ANDERBAI
. There is always the bucket and sponge and the Thirsty Mate.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby seandwyer » Sun May 10, 2009 11:19 am

I never even thought about it. I thought the boat had to be designed for such a thing. This is a really interesting idea! I'm interested in seeing what others have t say. Is this baler something you need to activate manually, or does it automatically siphon the water - as in detecting and then siphoning?
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Phill » Sun May 10, 2009 12:06 pm

I have not done it, but have seen many who have.
Some of the newer builders, Mcglaughlin, SLI and Cape Cod, also put them in.

Mcglaughlin has a foam core hull and put the bailers in either side of the boat, right against keelsen just forward of the CB trunk, if my memory is working today. They left a small area, maybe 1/2" larger than the bailer, uncored to behave as a small well to help the water collect. On the bottom it fits flush when closed.

Remember that the area can get a lot of slippery/clumsy foot traffic and the mechanism can damage bare feet or be damaged. There is a model of bailer out there that is said to work better that does not use the wedge shape drain, rather it lowers the front and back of a box like drain with flappers to prevent too much back wash if your speed is to low for the bailer to suck. No first hand experience, just remembered research and comments from other sailers. It seems the ones who regularly sail bigger waters, Santa Cruz, Chesapeak.... are more likly to want them.

About $.02 worth
Phill

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun May 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Sean,

Yes, you have to activate them manually. Also, you need to be going 3 to 5 kn for them to create enough suction.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun May 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Phill,

I was thinking that while I am doing the hull that this might be a good time to do it. That is, if it's really a good idea. My last boat had a self bailing cockpit and that sure was nice. I've done plenty of spirited sailing where I've taken on water over the rail. So far, I haven't done that with the DS, though.

The thought of having the bailer underfoot where it might get damaged or my bare feet might is certainly a consideration. I saw a picture in the last couple of weeks, which I can no longer find and was not a DS, that had one of these bailers set up under the aft deck. They had it set up with a line attached to the deck so that you could operate it with your foot. That seemed like a good place to keep it out of the way. However, I was trying to decide if that location would dry up the boat enough.

Additionally, I just found a site for Sandvik, which looks like the same bailer, and they recommend not leaving a boat in the water permanently with one of these. I don't think they want to be responsible for a boat sinking because of a poor seal.

KC
K.C. Walker

Return to Repair and Improvement