How to replace trailer tires

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

How to replace trailer tires

Postby mcarr » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:23 am

So, I went to the club to get my boat seaworthy today (yeah I know it's a little late in the season to be starting now) and discovered that both my trailer tires are 100% flat and will not reinflate. So, I have a few questions:

1. With trailer tires, do you simply replace the entire wheel+tire or do you take the wheel to a tire shop and have them put a new tire on the existing rim?

2. Do traditional tire shops typically have trailer tires in stock or is it a special order? Do I need to go to a specialty store (i.e. West Marine)?

3. If I have to replace the entire wheel+tire, where do I get that? Harbor Freight? Wal-Mart? Mail order?

Thanks!
Mike
mcarr

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 am

If your wheel is sound, you should be able to get it done at a tire store. Since the DS is so light, you can leave it on the trailer - just reassure them that they won't have an issue jacking it up. (Can't bring in the trailer in your case, since your tires don't inflate :oops: But if you can get the wheels off, they should be able to put tires on them)

That's what I did - but I did call ahead first.

Other alternatives would be stores that specialize in trailers. Those are a great place to go if you have to replace a wheel (because it's rusted). Not all wheels can be replaced - for some, you simply can't find replacements.

My trailer dates from 1965, but apparently uses generic sizes so that getting wheel bearings and tires has not been a problem. Springs will be another matter - I may have to have them custom built.

Before you give up, check online as well, but be careful you understand any measurements quoted.

If you can't get a wheel or tire and really need to replace the whole setup, then one option short of getting a whole new trailer might be to replace the axle - assuming that it's bolted onto the springs with U bolts, that's relatively straight forward for a small trailer.

The biggest problems are wheels that don't have separate hubs or axles that are welded instead of bolted. But I think those are more typical for trailers for lighter dinghies.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Peterw11 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Before you spring for new wheels and tires, see if you can get them off, (one at a time if necessary) take them to a tire store and see if they can reinflate them for you.

On smaller tubeless tiress, the bead of the tire will fall off the rim when they go flat and you'll never reinflate them without a bead expander.

That's something all tire shops have. Essentially, its an inflatable belt that goes around the center tread and pushes the bead up to the rim when inflated.

I just went through the same thing with my lawn tractor trailer. Brought it to the tire store, five minutes later they're aired up, No charge.

Also, I just bought a spare tire and wheel for my boat trailer (9" rim, very hard to find lately). The cheapest deal I could find online was $110 each.

Yikes.
Peterw11

Homemade bead expander

Postby sunapeesailor » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:37 pm

You can use a ratcheting tie-down around the flat tire to force bead(s) to seat on rim as you inflate. Has come in handy more than once on the different trailers in my barn!
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Return to Repair and Improvement