spreader replacement

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

spreader replacement

Postby otts62 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:01 am

I recently bought a '70 O'day DS. Some prior owner had cut the spreaders out. The bracket and clevis pin are still present on the mast as well as about an 1" of the tube wired to the stay. I'd like to know a) where I could get replacements b) what's the length of a spreader from the clevis pin to the end on the stay for fabricating one. thanks.
otts62

Postby markst95 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:09 am

Don't know the length but Dwyer Mast should have them. www.dwyermast.com
markst95

Postby markst95 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:12 am

markst95

Postby seandwyer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:55 am

So you are saying that you don't have any spreaders? Or do you have one set, plus the one that's missing? The ones missing might be the spreaders for the jumper struts which everyone keeps telling me should be removed - that giving the mast more flexibility is thought to be wiser than the added stiffness the jumper struts provided when manufactured. I still have my jumpers, but am considering their removal.

If it is the regular spreaders, they should be about 21-1/4" and made from 5/8" hollow tubing. Since you already know how big the clevis pin is and how far from the end to drill the hole, just replicate what you have. On the shroud side, cut a slot from the end of the tubing about an inch or so deep, then drill a small hole about 1/8" from the bottom of and perpendicular to the groove - for the cotter pin. I used a 4" grinder with a metal cutting wheel to cut the groove when I did this and its thickness seemed to be exactly the size needed - and was a lot easier than trying to cut several consecutive slots with a hack saw. Go for stainless - I used aluminum and the spreader broke after 3 outings. I believe the aluminum spreaders they sell are made from a stouter alloy and I have no idea what that might be - so go with stainless - it should be plentifully strong.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby JML Avalon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:16 pm

markst95 wrote:Of course theres also D&R.

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=121

Thanks for the link. The referenced part is listed as having one square end and one round. The spreaders on my older DSII are round all the way. Any issues with this? It looks like the square end of the replacement part is drilled for pin connection at the mast.
"Avalon" DSII, #4854
JML Avalon

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:32 pm

You may consider upgrading to the spreader brackets on the D&R site. They may be different from the ones you have.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hriehl1 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:19 pm

I originally had all-round spreaders and replaced then with D&R's square-end spreaders. The D&R spreaders fit my old spreader brackets just fine... in fact, the square profile is a more-secure fit than the all-round stock. And the new ones from D&R are just more sturdy than the all-round old ones.
hriehl1

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Good to know.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement