Lifting Bridle dimensions

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Lifting Bridle dimensions

Postby pxcataol » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:51 am

I have an O Day Daysailer 3 for drysail at the Nyack boat club. We have several 2000lb hoists for Lightnings, Thistles, etc and 5000 lb and a 10, 000 lb hoist for larger boats. There is only a bulkhead so all drysail launches must be by one of the hoists. A Daysailer weights about 600 lb so it goes on the small hoist. However this requires a lifting bridle to connect (2) lifting eyes just to the rear of the shrouds, (2) lifting eyes just forward of the transom and the hook from the hoist. It will form a large X with the front legs of the X of one length and the rear legs of 2nd length. The length of the legs should be such as to allow a four point lift and balance the boat while it is in the air. I have been on a trial and error binge with many trials and all errors. I was hoping that someone else had solved the problem and could give me dimensions so I could just "do it"
Hope that makes my dilemma clearer.
Thanks for your reply.
pxcataol

Postby jpclowes » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:49 am

pxcataol

I will measure mine next time I am at the boat. (Probably this weekend.) I do this with my boat and it works great. You will probably need to adjust yours slightly, since the center of gravity will be different between my DS1 and your DS3. I used 2 pieces of line, a long one for the back, and a short one for the front.

Also, my aft lifting eyes are actually in the stern. My forward points are the chainplates. I replaced the pins that hold my shrouds with shackles, and lift with those. Those are the strongest point on the sides of the boat.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby landloc » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:19 pm

I've got a DSII. My back legs of my bridle hook onto two extra chainplates just forward of the aft cleats. My forward legs hook onto the chainplates behind the shrouds. The forward legs are 48inches; the back legs are 73 inches.
landloc

landloc and pxcataol

Postby kellyima » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi, I noticed you're both very close to me - at Nyack and Dobbs Ferry. I'm moored at Irvington boat club. Let's all get together some day and form a daysailer flotilla. I have to say, I've never seen another daysailer around here. We have a couple of guest moorings, so you could sail over to Irvington if you like. My email is kelly.imamura@pnc.com. Email if you're interested. Hope you caught the Tall Ships going up the Hudson at Henry Hudson Quadricennial last month.
kellyima

Return to Repair and Improvement