trailer & centerboard question

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

trailer & centerboard question

Postby dtrop01 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:17 am

So....after many years I finally replace my old trailer. I've modified a powerboat trailer...the boat now rides lower, I have larger tires..all is good!

The one issue that I'm facing is that my centerboard hangs down about 2 inches or so at the rear.

I need to figure out a way to keep it up while trailering, yet allows me to lower it in the water. See, if it hangs down while I try to launch, I'm afraid the tip will get hung up on the next keel roller back.

Any ideas gang?

Thanks,

Don Trop
Killer Tomato
dtrop01

trailer/CB

Postby kokko » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:41 am

There should be a pawl on the cb handle that hold it up. My boat also has a pin the goes through the cb and cb locker to keep it in place.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby swiftsail » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:58 pm

Nope, that is about standard. When latched the board tends the hang about 2 inches down at the tip.

You can tie the CB handle forward, but the best thing is to support the tip of the board when trailering so it doesn't bounce. A lot of guys run a 2x6 down the center of the trailer to give support down the entire keelson.

Good to see you still kicking around Don.

Steve
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby navahoIII » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:39 pm

swiftsail - That is reassuring to know, since our cb hangs out about two inches too! It's circa 1962. Good advice about putting a block under the tip to keep the cb from bouncing en route. Thanks!
navahoIII

Postby seandwyer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:07 pm

So if your CB doesn't hang out 2 inches (mine is completely contained in the trunk when in the up position) and is supposed to, could it also be possible that your CB isn't engaging all the way when you lower it? My CB lever stands perfectly perpendicular to the hull when up and goes nearly all the way down to the hull with enough room to get your hand around it when the board is down.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby swiftsail » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:11 pm

There is a lot of variation in all the years and it is not at all unusual for the board hang down a bit in the up position. Most racers completely remove the locking mechanism because it just causes problems at mark roundings.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Return to Repair and Improvement