Improved Tabernacle

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Improved Tabernacle

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am

Okay, this thought has been rattling around in my head for a while now. It is common knowledge that cutting the mast and putting a tabernacle in reduces performance and sail control. But does it have to be that way? It's also obvious that it's much easier to raise the mast with a tabernacle.

So what I've been thinking about is an improved tabernacle. The commercially available tabernacle is obviously weak. In essence it turns the mast into a deck stepped mast. By the way, I have a mast that already has a tabernacle. It seems to me that beefing up the connections might give it the effect of a one piece of mast.

The setup as it is now with the aluminum castings inserted into the aluminum extrusion of the mast only extends a short distance into the mast. The 1st step would be to extend these inserts somehow both directions inside the mast. Possibly using the aluminum castings but epoxying them in with epoxy back up? Using some pretty good size stainless steel bolts running up through them into the epoxy?

Then, of course there would be the hinge. The stamped sheet metal hinge plate that's available is pretty flimsy. The thought that's been rattling around in my head is using a couple of heavier plates of stainless. Use a pinned hinge on the aft end to raise the mast as it is done now and then have 4 bolts to join the plates together once the mast is up. Of course, these plates would be joined to the mast slugs with some hefty bolts.

As I said, I've just been thinking. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby Baysailer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:06 am

K.C.

Here's a tabernacle (for a Bucaneer) much like you describe but was made from aluminum. Looks pretty beefy to me.

http://www.wright-photo.com/bucc5.htm

Fred B.
Baysailer

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks Fred! This is a bit like what I had in mind. Though, it looks more straightforward than my idea.

KC
K.C. Walker

Return to Repair and Improvement