Painting the bottom

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting the bottom

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 pm

I am half way through (I hope) removing a few decades of bottom paint from my DS3. I am down to gel coat on a portion of the hull and there is a leftover blue stain from the paint. I don't know if I will be happy with the appearance when it is all removed and I am considering painting the bottom for cosmetic reasons. I do not need anti fouling paint. The boat lives on a trailer when it is not being sailed. Any suggestions?

Glenn in NJ
Glenn

Postby jdubes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:34 pm

any pics?
jdubes

Postby algonquin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:34 am

Sounds like you didn’t intend to repaint but may need to after all. No need to go into a lot of money to paint the hull. I would try a quart of Rustoleum cut with 1 part thinner to two parts paint. You can roll or spray it. Sand the surface some after the first coat dries and give it a second coat. The second coat when dry should have a smooth and glossy touch and last for many years. The whole process will cost about 30 bucks. Rustoleum gives you a quality finish at a fraction of what “marine” paint will cost. Comes in many colors also.

Try a search on this site for Rustoleum. There have been previous discussions on the topic. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Repair and Improvement