installing slugs on mains'l luff

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

installing slugs on mains'l luff

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 02, 2000 9:05 pm

I keep my DS-1 on a slip.I just want to uncover the sails and raise them.To me a rope luff is aggravating even though slugs might hurt performance.I put them on a 23'Venture and they worked fine.Does anyone have main luff with slugs.How far apart should they be? Dick Munsell,Springfield,MA.

Dick Munsell (RMunsell-at-webtv.net)

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 05, 2000 10:53 pm

I recently installed sail slugs on my 1979 DS11...a great addition, at least if you keep the boat in the water. I used nine slugs. The top slug was set about 2" down from the tip-top of the mainsail. The bottom slug was positioned so that when the sail is raised all the way and the boom pulled down snug, the slug would be about 2" above the cut-out in the mast where the bolt rope enters. This allows room for a sail-stop to be installed there to prevent the slugs from falling out the cut-out when dropping the sail. I used a second stop below the boom, so that once sail has been dropped and folded up on boom, I can use this second sail-stop to hold up the boom to give more head clearance at forward end.

steve parsons (ramblerdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 05, 2000 10:58 pm

Oh, forgot to mention in the above responce that the other 7 slugs are then spaced evenly out along the sail. Believe spacing was around 2 feet.

Steve Parsons (ramblerdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2000 4:19 pm

You email indicated that you got the parts at Sailrite. I looked at their online catalogue and am not sure what to buy if I decide to do this. Can you provide part #s of what you bought to make this conversion. Thanks.

Mike H. (HASTINML-at-CO.FORSYTH.NC.US)

Return to Repair and Improvement