Jib sheet/tabernacle hang up

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib sheet/tabernacle hang up

Postby Peterw11 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:18 am

I searched the forum but couldn't find this problem specifically addressed:

One of the few difficulties I've had with my DS1 is the constant hang up of the jib sheets on the tabernacle corners and pins. To make matters worse, I've been using 1/4" bolts with wingnuts to secure the mast, in place of the correct tabernacle pins (I now have the correct pins but won't bother to replace them 'til I derig at the end of the season).

Every time I tack, the jib sheets catch on the bolts, or the corners and won't release without a lot of extra effort. A real PITA, regardless of wind conditions.

I tried a thick wrap of duct tape around the tabernacle to cover the protrusions, but that doesn't solve the problem. I've considered some kind of plastic boot or cover (the PO had a cut down plastic jug around it when I bought the boat, but that too, was inadequate. The dimensions didn't fit the mast very well.

I needed something flexible but strong, easily removable, and close enough in size so it would cover the tabernacle, but wouldn't interfere with the mast mounted halyard blocks.

Yesterday it came to me.

Tupperware.

A little rooting around in the kitchen produced a 6" diameter bowl shaped container, with a bottom dimension of about 4". I cut a hole in the bottom to match the general shape of the mast, and then slit it from rim to bottom so I could spread it enough to slip it around the tabernacle.
It was a bit too deep, so I trimmed about an inch from the top lip.

Spread apart, it easily slips over the tabernacle, and it's rounded shape
allows the sheets to slide right over it. A strip of duct tape holds it together around the mast.

Not real pretty, but it does the job.
Peterw11

Postby navahoIII » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 am

Nice job! Always glad to see resourcefulness at work!!
navahoIII

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:22 pm

You do know that you can buy duct tape in various colors don't you? I mean, if you want to make it pretty.

I've got a heavy rubber contraption that I wrap around the tabernacle on my boat. It does the job almost all of the time but it sounds like your solution is "slicker". I use a strap with Velcro on mine instead of duct tape. I guess I'm going for the more conservative black look. You've got me thinking, though.

KC
K.C. Walker

Return to Repair and Improvement