Damaged sidestay

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Damaged sidestay

Postby jefflw » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:13 pm

While stepping the mast on my DSIII the forestay got caught up with one of the sidestays resulting in the sidestay getting a curve in it as it wrapped around the forestay. The sidestays were already connected to the chainplates. I lowered the mast and straightened the curve in the sidestay before stepping the mast again and adjusting the tension. However I now have approx 3/4" to 1" section of the sidestay where the outer wires are no longer tightly wound. The inner wire looks ok. I managed to sail with it like this.

What are my options? Is there something I can do to get the outer wires in this area tightly wound again? Can I leave it alone and still sail like this. Or do I need to replace the sidestay?

Tx
"Swallow" DSIII
jefflw

Postby algonquin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm

I would say that it is still probably pretty strong and will handle most conditions as is. I had a similar situation with a side stay on my Venture Newport 23 and sailed for years off the coast of Jersey with no lingering effects. Main difference was that the boat had dual stays so I wasn’t particularly worried about it. I did eventually replace it and you may also want to add it to your winter to-do list just to give you the added assurance. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Repair and Improvement