Cunningham purchase power?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cunningham purchase power?

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:17 pm

What is a good amount for the cunningham purchase? Is 5 to 1 too much? Of course, I can pull on it gently but I'm just wondering if that's overkill. Flying Scots use 8:1.

I'm planning on increasing my boom vang to 15:1. I will cleat at the edge of the cuddy. I would also like to rig the cunningham to cleat in the same location.

Thanks for any thoughts!

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 pm

I use 2:1 :shock:

My cunningham runs from the mast, through the cringle, back down, that gives me a 2:1. I've not had a lot of need to adjust this while under way, so I do all my adjustments while standig close to the mast, which allows me to use my weight to help in pulling...

But so far, 2:1 seems sufficient.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm

My thoughts are to use a cunningham hook attached to a double or a triple block with tackle led down to a double or triple on the deck that would lead back to a cleat at the cuddy edge. The idea, of course, is to be able to adjust it underway. The reason for wanting to adjust it underway is with increased vang tension the mainsail draft moves aft and adjusting the cunningham tighter moves it forward. Tighten both at the same time you de-power the sail, increasing the mast bend and helping with gust control. Basically, it just allows you to sail in higher winds before having to reef.

So far, I have not rigged a cunningham on this boat. I've just used the downhaul. I just want to get more control over my sail shape.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:39 pm

I have a 4:1 Cunningham that is led through the top of the cabin to a split 1 x 2" rectangular Tube Post/Tray arrangement that ties the top of the cabin to the forward edge of the centerboard trunk vertically. At the top of the Post the Harken Cleats for the Cunningham and 3:1 Jib Halyard Fine Tune are fastened, then directly below that the Jib Halyard Junior Clam Cleat and below that the Main Halyard Junior Clam Cleat. I have only used the Cunningham twice in three years (25-40 knots the first time and 18-20 knots latet this summer to experiment) and only use the Cunningham to help pull down the tack grommet after full hoisting the Main Halyard, the Outhaul is cranked out tight and then the 20:1 boomvang while vangsheeting controls most of the rest of the draft by bending the bottom 1/3 of the Main while twisting off the upper leech where most of your power is.
Mike Gillum

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:39 am

Mike,

Thanks so much for the info! You answered a bunch of questions here, even anticipating further questions. I was totally intrigued/impressed by the post/tray setup that I saw in the pictures of Dave's boat at nationals. It seems like a great way to stiffen the boat up as well as provide a control deck and be out of the way all at the same time.

I can see that it makesgood sense to lead the vang back to the sheeting position like they do in Thistles. I'll have to think about incorporating that idea into my rig.

I wasn't sure how much the Cunningham would come into play with vang sheeting, so I'm glad to know that it's more set it for conditions than it is playing it.

KC
K.C. Walker

Return to Repair and Improvement