Rubrail replacement installation hints

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rubrail replacement installation hints

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 06, 2000 6:16 pm

To those of you who have replaced the Rub Rail: Do you have information on any particular techniques that you feel made your installation sucessful, or suggestions that could help me avoid problems before I start? My primary concern is geting the new material to lay flat at the bow, it looks like it needs to be streched, a lot, to make the turn. Thanks for your help.

Barry (BFK-at-sdcity.sannet.gov)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 09, 2000 10:56 am

When replacing the rub rail it is very helpful to lay it out uncoiled in the sun to soften the material. It becomes much easier to handel, the turn at the bow is not hard to do...but it is hard to keep the new rub rail from buckeling at this point. I had to make a small cut on the underside of the rail to help it lay flat.

Dave Misunas (misunas-at-sasquatch.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 11, 2000 6:50 pm

I used a cheap replacement from Hamiltons and I had no problem. I let it warm in the sun and then I filled the crack with 3M 5200 (rapid-cure) and pushed it on. Every foot or so I used a pop rivet from the underside to hold it in place while the 5200 dried. I know that they sell a two-piece rail which is probably an easier installation, but it cost about $2.50 per foot for only one of the two pieces and I paid $.99 per foot for mine. It works just fine.

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:12 pm

where is Hamiltons. I need to get a rub rail.

kevin McGrath (kmcgrat2-at-optonline.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:17 pm

Portland, ME
(207) 774-1772

Barry (bkelleher-at-sandiego.gov)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:47 am

Do you have a part number?

Don Trop (don.trop-at-eds.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:25 pm

DWP-132-FW. Double check the other Web links for the product #. Thats the one I have circled in the catalog, but it is rolled up in the box in the garage, another project... another day.....

barry (bkelleher-at-sandiego.gov)

Price of Rubrail Replacement.

Postby G.Livingston » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:27 pm

Confusing. :? I checked at the website for Hamilton Marine and the DWP-132-FW list at $2.39/ft not 99cents/ft I did not see any thing else in the $1/ft range. What did I miss.?
Happy Sailing,
May the winds be to your liking.
G.Livingston

Return to Repair and Improvement