hull deck bond

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

hull deck bond

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 14, 2000 12:19 pm

I own a 1981 Daysailer which I bought new. The deck and hull are bonded together with no mechanical fastening. The filler or bonding agent varies in thickness from about a quarter of an inch to about an ich. This material is now falling out along the portside for much of its length. Does anywone know what this material is and how to repair it?

Dennis Mallach (Denmall-at-AOL.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:12 am

I don't know what the material is, maybe a fiberglass/polyester putty? But, the hull/deck seam on my 1979 DS II is exactly the same type! I only have a few spots with minor cracks or missing compound, and have noticed that in some areas the fit is better than others.
For more info, contact Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine.
He was the Parts Dept. Manager for O'Day and he is a great storehouse of knowledge! He is also THE source for replacement parts for all O'Day boats. The phone # for D&R Marine is 508-644-3001, fax: 508-644-3002, Rudy is located in Assonet, Ma. about 6 miles from the old O'Day factory in Fall River, Ma.
Another source for parts is Cape Cod Shipbuilding in Wareham, Ma. (builder of present Day Sailer)their phone# and web address ar listed under Parts on this Day Sailer Homepage.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement