Motor Mount II

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Motor Mount II

Postby whitejw1967 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31 pm

I am putting a rigid motor mount on the back of my DSII for a 3.5 hp kicker with a 15" shaft to get it away from the transom to have more room in the cockpit under sail. On the transom the shaft is long enough. What I am seeking is advice on where to mount the motor mount: How deep should the prop be below the surface? How far off center should the mount be placed? It is a Garelick rigid motor mount. Any advice is appreciated!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=784
whitejw1967

Postby patco » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm interested in this, too. Can this bracket fit far enough port side that the rudder doesn't get in the way?
patco

Motor Mount

Postby whitejw1967 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Patco,

I installed the rigid motor mount probably about a foot to 14 inches off center (port side) and the rudder clears it and the engine. With the rudder down, it doesn't even come close to the mount or the engine. The motor is close enough to center that there isn't much of a tendency to push to starboard. The motor mount does make for a lot more space in the back of the cockpit. I'm glad to send photos of this to you if you are interested.

The only issue I faced with the motor mount was a big one: getting the third (lower port-side bolt) connected. To do this, you have to get to the back of the transom, which sits under the port side seat. You have to cut a hole in the seat riser to get in there. Beware that when you do so, there is also the flotation tank in there that limits the size of the hole. I couldn't cut a hole out large enough to fit any access panels because of the flotation tank/fiberglass underneath the seat. That said, I cut a nice piece of starboard to fit the hole and screwed it in place (with 5200 between it and the boat glass).

The good news is that even a short-shaft blade sits pretty low--low enough that the water intake/impeller is plenty low in the water (even with some roll and cavitation). With a long-shaft, the issue is obviously moot.

Good luck!

John
whitejw1967

Motor Mount Placement

Postby Toso » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:26 pm

In addition to the above, try going to websites for big name outboards. Some of them (Honda comes to mind) have advice on where to place the motor. Please let us know what you finally do and how it works. I myself am considering an outboard mount.
Good Luck!
Toso

Postby Jett » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm

One consideration regarding a rigid motor mount not mentioned here(seems I posted something about this once before) is the issue of tilting the motor up while underway. The rigid mount on my DS1 is, like others mentioned, positioned on the port side of the transom. I found that when using a long shaft outboard I have, I cannot quite get the prop out of the water when tilting the motor all the way forward (that's because the motor only tilts so far before hitting the top of the transom deck on the DS1). Since the mount is rigid and won't adjust, the tilt function of the typical outboard is compromised. Turning and twisting the motor may improve the position, but on my boat that only slightly helps.

I solved this with a short shaft which keeps the prop from dragging in the water when tilted, even though, as with the previous motor, the motor won't entirely tilt to its full position. Luckily, it stays in place with enough friction in the tilted position not to worry about, but I felt I had to tie the long shaft down (because it is heavier) in order to keep it from slipping down into an upright position while sailing.

Since the motors won't tilt fully, the locking pins won't engage. Still, even a rigid motor mount is a great device to keep the cowling/tiller out of the way of the traveler and other lines. Well worth it in my opinion.
Jett Conner
Jett

Daysailer II Motor Mount

Postby rrcrazy » Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I solved the problem of the lower port side bolt by just putting in a type of bolt that has a wood screw in one side, and a machine screw in the other. I then epoxied it in so it wouldn't turn. I made it so the motor mount is removable for transport. I also don't normally use it at the club where I sail.

The motor I have is a 3HP Johnson motor. I mounted it so it was just in the water. I've never tried to tilt it, other than to get it out of the water. It seems to work fine.

Here's a photo...Image
rrcrazy

Re: Motor Mount

Postby jkfinity » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:32 pm

whitejw1967 wrote:Patco,

I installed the rigid motor mount probably about a foot to 14 inches off center (port side) and the rudder clears it and the engine. With the rudder down, it doesn't even come close to the mount or the engine. The motor is close enough to center that there isn't much of a tendency to push to starboard. The motor mount does make for a lot more space in the back of the cockpit. I'm glad to send photos of this to you if you are interested.

John

I would love to see photos if you still have the boat. Thanks - John / Vermont
John / Burlington Vermont / Lake Champlain
1973 DS II # 6216 "Suluhu"
jkfinity

Re: Motor Mount II

Postby GreenLake » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:39 pm

John, that user hasn't signed into the forum since 2011....have you checked the gallery for images?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Motor Mount II

Postby klb67 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:42 pm

My DS II came with a rigid motor mount that is through bolted to the transom. I have a 2 HP Evinrude that I have used on occasion without any interference issues with the rudder or tiller. I'll try to post a picture to my album from both sides of the transom. I could provide some measurements in late April when I can get my boat out of storage, but the pictures may be enough. There is a long backing plate of sorts that is on the inside of the transom. I wouldn't use that if I installed the mount, and one of these days I may replace the mount with a newer one and remove all of the unnecessary hardware, and replace the hardware with appropriate stainless hardware. The board on the mount is now pressure treated dimensional lumber - I assume the PO replaced the factory motor mount wood with that at some point.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Return to Repair and Improvement