spindrift hull stringers

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

spindrift hull stringers

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 17, 2000 10:16 am

I can't believe how much I've learned about my boat by reading the discussions on this site!
I have a '84 Spindrift and am wondering if it would benefit from hull reinforcement to reuduce hull flex. I'm getting a little flex in rough waves which I sail in periodically in Lake Michigan. Is this year/model considered stiff enough for racing or should the hull be modified. If anybody has experience doing this to their hull would they care to share their technique of materials used and placement of (I assume) stringers?
Thanks
Rex

Rex Sheler (signroute-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:12 pm

Rex,

You shouldn't be seeing much flex in a Spindrift hull. These boats used a double hull construction w/ a 3/8" balsa wood core. They are VERY stiff hulls compared to the O'Day boats and thus will perform better in rough conditions. They are a bit heavier, though, and it's tough to get one all the way down to the 575 lb minimum.

Kevin

PS> Don't let anyone tell you Spindrifts are not competitive at a National level. A guy named Corwin won the Nationals in '92 (or thereaboats) w/ a Spindrift even though it weighed in at almost 600 lbs.

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Sep 22, 2000 3:33 pm

In recent months, I've actually learned that not all Spindrifts had the double hull. I've seen one here in Houston that looks almost like an old O'Day, right down to the motor well (a.k.a. beer locker) in the port afterdeck. That boat had the single hull. It also had the "Spindrift One designs" decal on the hull.
This may be similar to what you have, Rex.

Can you identify the Coast Guard required Identification imprinted in the starboard transom? There should be a 5 digit number imbedded in it which (as I understand it) is the "hull number" used by many Day Sailers as their sail number. Mine is 11750. Check out the builder's chart under Information on this web site's home page.

As to if your hull needs stiffening, you'll need to ask someone experienced in your area who can take a look at it, or better yet, start racing with them and see how things stack up. but of course there are other factors to consider, like skill, sail condition, hull and foil condition, rig tune, and on and on...
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 27, 2000 12:56 am

Bob,

Your comment about a Spindift not being a balsa core-double hull has peaked my curiosity. It would seem unlikely that a builder would change his building procedures. Is it possible the boat is in fact not a Spindift but has a Spindrift Decal? Would it be possible to check the boats numbers?
Dave

Dave Misunas (misunas-at-sasquatch.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:05 am

Dave,
The number of this boat is 11537. I seem to recall mentioning this boat to you a while back, When I first saw her she was in pretty sad shape, but the fellow who bought her did a good job of fixing her up. I'll try to get the entire HIN number the next time I see him. Actually, he visits this site occasionally, perhaps he'll read this.

I'm unclear as to the history of the transition from Rebel to Spindrift. I had thought the second bought the First. If so, and knowing that builders have a penchant for thrift, why would they have changed the molds, unless they wore out or damaged? I find the history of why there have so many builders to be an interesting subject, and wish there was more detail on it. I wonder if the former owners of Rebel/Spindrift are out there and if they would be at all interested in talking. I don't have copies of the old quarterlies, so I don't know where to begin on that one.

Speaking of molds, I got to see the ones at Cape Cod a few days ago. Very interesting, will post something on this site when I can.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:09 am

Bob and Dave,

I've always thought that there was one set of molds that the Day Sailer class owned and they moved them from one builder to the next in the Rebel -> Spindrift -> Precision -> xxx era. If a builder has experience w/ different construction methods it might not be that difficult to change. Maybe Spindrift considered going back to the hand-laid fiberglass of O'Day boats? Maybe a rich racer had a custom built Spindrift? Only guessing... I too would like to know more about the history of all this.

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-usa.alcatel.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement