coaming wood

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Peterw11 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I've got all my brightwork sanded down (finally!...I planned to do this last winter!) and am now in varnish stage (6 coats of Bristol Finish gloss over the next two days in hopes we'll be ready to launch this weekend).

Oddly enough, it appears the only teak pieces on the boat are the port and starboard coamings. The transom coaming, thwarts, and floorboards (haven't stripped those yet) look like they're all mahogany!

Pretty strange, eh? Anybody surprised by this?

BTW, my hull built in 1968.
Peterw11

coaming

Postby kokko » Tue May 25, 2010 9:48 am

I was able to find the lumber at a specialty lumber yard. I bought African mahogany and had them plane it to 1/2". THe coamings have been cut out and have their first two coats of urethane, and they look good. With a couple more coats I will reinstall this weekend, and Truelove will sail again.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue May 25, 2010 10:27 am

kokko,

I'll bet that African mahogany looks really nice, I'm glad you're about back to sailing again!

KC
K.C. Walker

Coamings

Postby kokko » Mon May 31, 2010 6:55 pm

I am happy to report the replacement coamings look great.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby Peterw11 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Just as an FYI, I've recently finished varnishing my coamings and thwarts with 6 coats of Bristol Finish Gloss. Aside from a few dribs and drabs, (my fault), it came out great. Literally looks like it's encased in glass, which is what I was shooting for.

Anybody looking for a high gloss, wet look, type of finish, this is it.

I could give it another sanding with 220 to remove the runs and whatnot, but I want to get it on the boat so I can go sailing. I'll wait til the end of the season, when it may need a few touchups, to make the corrections.
Peterw11

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement