improved mast bend control with a tabernacle

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

improved mast bend control with a tabernacle

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:54 pm

I've been doing some experimenting with trying to get pre-bend and mast bend control with the vang while using a hinged "tabernacle". So, this would be more cruising performance improvement than racing improvement. I am, however, quite happy with the results so far.

I started out with increasing my rig tension to see if I could induce prebend but only had limited success. I was able to get about an inch or maybe a little more with the mast step in its original location. I decided to make an adjustable step for the mast stub and thereby tilting the lower hinge plate forward and aft. By setting up the mast with only the rear pin in the hinge I'm able to get varying amounts of prebend by chocking the mast step forward and aft.

The interesting thing is that I've set up for vang sheeting with a 20:1 set up and this really helps to get a good amount of bend if I chock the mast stub back about an inch and a half. What this does is allows the front of the hinge to open and close about a 16th of an inch which really lets the lower mast bend nicely. I'm able to now get over bend "speed wrinkles" just as they are described in the North Sails tuning guide.

I got some sailing in last week with a breeze about 15 kn with some gusts up to 20 kn. I had experienced crew and with the nice bend in the mast and the new vang set up we were able to de-power the sail and get really nice performance considering the conditions. We did, however, get really wet from spray on the up wind leg. :-) Now the downwind leg was some serious fun. We were planing like crazy and the surfing was really exhilarating. My friend commented that it was like having a 500 hp motor when a wind gust hit.

KC
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby algonquin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 am

You really have the problem solved. I was also thinking you may get a bit more adjustment by using a hinge pin slightly less in diameter than the ones it comes with. I don’t believe that would sacrifice much in the way of strength and may give you a bit more mast tuning ability. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Repair and Improvement