Trailer extension

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer extension

Postby John on the Vineyard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Well after a few years of working on my DS1 as time and budget allowed, I finally had her in sail-able condition. I still need to do some cosmetic work though. Any way, I trailered her down to the local great pond and after a few missteps, :oops: was able to get her rigged and ready to launch.

Now those of you who live in the Northeast will know just how wet it has been here the last month or so. As a result, the water levels in the ponds around here are quite high. I was unable to back far enough into the pond to launch and even if I would have been able to, I not sure I could have retrieved her. So I'd like to make some sort of extension that I could use to get the trailer further into the water. I remember reading a thread on this a few years ago, but a search found nothing.

Does anyone have an ideas on how I could do this? I realize that I would have to make a solid connection at the ball hitch on the trailer to maintain control, I just haven't figured it out yet! :o

TIA!
John on the Vineyard
19?? Oday Daysailer
John on the Vineyard

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Is something like this what you had in mind? http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessori ... 45018.html

KC
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Or you could mount a trailer tongue wheel and possibly use a rope to lower the trailer.

Here's a series of midly amusing brit videos showing that technique applied to a rather marginal launch situation. Despite the title of the videos, the launch does succeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F46sqTcuvNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPB9yr_gPko
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP2hEm8BscE
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

trailer extension

Postby kokko » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:53 am

I made a trailer extension with two 10' pressure-treated 2x4s One end has the coupler, and the other the ball I was not the first on this site to do so, so there are prbably pictures
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby BillHerrick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:23 pm

The ramp where I launch Black Jack most often is very shallow and launching was a problem. I have a Catalina 22 and its trailer has an extendable tongue so I modified the DS trailer to mimic the larger boat's system.

I cut the trailer frame about a foot in back of the hitch coupler and then bought a section of steel tubing that just matched the inside dimensions of the frame. It's about 6-1/2 ft long.

Slide the coupler end over the tubing, drill 2 holes through both the hitch end and the tubing, then insert 2 grade 5 bolts, 5/8" or 3/4" diameter, with self-locking nuts and tighten them.

Next make a mark about 18" from the other end of the tubing and insert it into the frame of the trailer to the mark. Drill 2 holes through the frame and tubing to accept hitch pins, again 5/8" or 3/4" diameter. You can get the hitch pins at your local farm supply store, like Tractor Supply, or perhaps Lowes or Home Depot.

Now slide the tubing all the way into the trailer frame so the cut edges touch and drill 2 holes through the tubing using the frame holes as a template. Almost done.

Slide the tubing out and apply a coat of grease. Doesn't have to be lot, just enough to keep it from siezing inside the frame. Done.

When you want to launch, spot the trailer, block the wheels, pull the hitch pins from the frame, then extend the tongue until you reach the holes at the other end. Re-insert the pins then launch.

Things to remember: 1.) this is only suitable for very short distance towing: down the ramp and out of the water 2.) It can be difficult to line up the far holes when extending the tongue because the extension will pivot vertically. Easiest with a helper 3.) Remember to disconnect the electrics when extending.

If anyone would like I can post pictures.
Bill Herrick
Upstate New York
BillHerrick

Postby John on the Vineyard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks for all the good ideas! I like the extend-able hitch idea, but the 2x4 extension has the thrifty side of me intrigued.
John on the Vineyard
19?? Oday Daysailer
John on the Vineyard

extension

Postby kokko » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:21 pm

I added a couple of pictures of the extension in my daysailer album

http://cid-6c482f7b629333ed.photos.live ... elove?uc=2
DS1 Truelove
kokko

extension

Postby kokko » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:53 pm

The slot just aft of the ball is to allow for the skid plat on the trailer.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Repair and Improvement