What to check on boat that's been out in weather

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

What to check on boat that's been out in weather

Postby dbcooper292 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 pm

There's a 1980 daysailer on my way to work sitting on a trailer. I stopped in yesterday and asked the man if he'd consider getting rid of it, he seemed interested and took my number. For a few years it didn't move but was covered with a blue tarp - the mast and sails are in his garage. For about a year or two the tarp has been so tattered it's not keeping the weather out, the cockpit had a bunch of water and leaves in it. It is tipped up (bow high) with the plug out but leaves have dammed up the hole.

What I'm wondering is what I should look for to see if it's sound if he calls back and says come over for a look. I did look under to see the hull looks intact, but I don't understand the internal construction enough to know whether water might be in the 'bilge' where it could have frozen and hurt the boat? I'd love some thoughts on what to look for on this issue and generally.

Thanks!
Mark
dbcooper292

Postby Alan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:56 pm

I've got a 1980 DSII. If rain water in the cockpit gets deep enough to cover the inspection ports (in the cockpit floor just aft of the cuddy door opening), it can seep into the bilge (I've had this happen when the cover blew off).

Since water expands as it freezes, water in the bilge could theoretically push the hull and deck moldings apart. I'd check the gelcoat for cracks and the deck-to-hull joint for signs of separation. I'd also note that I tend to worry about things more than strictly necessary. :)

On the subject of repairs and upgrades: Critical parts like sails, rudders and centerboards are readily available. However, the cost can add up pretty quickly.

I'm still a relative newbie after two years of ownership, but there are plenty of people on this board, with many years of experience and hours of sailing time, who are very willing to offer advice. If you do want to take on a fixer-upper, or if you need sailing advice, you'll be in good hands.
Alan

What to look for

Postby Bob Damon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Definately look under the boat at the hull to make sure the hull has not deformed. The hulls on the DSII were soft and if there was alot of water weight, the hulls would bow inward and potentially crack the fiberglass. Good luck
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to Repair and Improvement