Outboard Motors

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Outboard Motors

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:38 am

Though there is obviously a downside to smelly gasoline and the noise. Overall, I really like having a gasoline outboard. You will be amazed at how little gasoline you use. I think you will definitely enjoy the freedom for longer cruising.

It seems to me with your mount being just that much below the transom deck a regular shaft should be just right.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks KC. Yeah, this thing's a bit louder than others I've heard (it's a "nasally" 4-stroke), but it's not like it's running all the time. It holds 1/4 gallon of gas, and I'll keep a 1 gallon can aboard. If I need more than that, and I'm doing more motoring than sailing, then I'm doing something wrong!

This mount puts the top of the cav plate about 4-6 inches below the surface when boat is at rest in calm water.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 pm

That's about where my cavitation plate sits with my long shaft attached to the motor well. I never have any cavitation problems even going forward on deck. I had a long shaft on a previous boat that had a tall transom. That thing was always cavitating with the plate sitting pretty much at waterline. I couldn't go forward unless I sent somebody to sit on the transom.

I've got a small external tank. I normally put 2 gallons in it and go most of the season. If I'm doing a lot of motoring, obviously I add some more.

I know what you mean about the noise factor on the air cooled Honda. They are extremely reliable, though. Just make sure you have fresh gas. My old Johnson two cylinder 4 hp is watercooled and relatively quiet. It, however, has no neutral. That makes it imperative for having the fuel system shipshape so that it will start on the first pull, or especially restart on the first pull. Tight maneuvering with that spin around set up can be exciting!

I took a friend out that had never gone out with me. It was really blowing with lots of spray even before raising sail. I'm motored out from the launch area and kept motoring because it's really rocky around there and I wanted to get out further before raising sail. Because we were bucking wind the motor was cranked up pretty high. After getting the sails raised and cutting the motor off he turned to me and said, "OH, now I see why you like this. He really wasn't getting any pleasure out of motoring. And that's really it, it's so nice when you turn the motor off!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Are you using non-ethanol gas? The guy I bought this motor from said that's all that's ever been run in it, and I'll continue to do the same. Mainly because I have a source right down the street from work, even if 87 octane is $6.35/gal! Worth it tho, I believe.

The Honda is about as noisy as a gas weedwhacker. That'll be an incentive to only use it when I need it, but it'll be a welcome sound when I really do!
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 pm

I'm envisioning orange hearing protectors, like the highway department wears.

I don't think I've seen any non-ethanol gas around here. It certainly would be nice. I put a carburetor kit in at the beginning of this season because the float sunk and it was flooding. Supposedly the new kit is ethanol proof. The varnish on the old cork float was definitely in bad shape. I have had to replace fuel lines every couple of years. I always run the carburetor try between usages. I've been running it five years on 10% ethanol and I don't think the previous owner babied it. It was surprisingly clean inside the carb.

A friend that's a chemist told me about a starbright fuel additive that has enzymes that eat up the ethanol in fuel. I've been thinking about trying that.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Well, I always wore earplugs when skydiving. More for protection from the noise in the plane than the noise in freefall - especially back in the old DC-3 days! So why not with this motor?

The place that has the non-e gas is a fuel oil supplier, so you might look for one in your area. The one here might carry non-e because the demand from the local auto racing community is there. This is Daytona after all, but it's not all NASCAR: there are a lot of local short tracks and a very active "Saturday night racing community" ...

The Honda has a plastic float. The manual states that ethanol gas is OK, but only with an additive such as you describe. My whole rationale behind wanting a 4-stroke was that I didn't want to be messing around with adding/mixing anything with the gas - I want it to be like my car: keep oil in there, grease the stuff I'm supposed to grease, gas 'er up and go! ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby jeadstx » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm glad I went with the propane outboard so I don't have to worry about the ethanol in fuel. My old 2hp Evinrude got damaged due to ethanol. The propane motor still makes noise, but there is no smell problem.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 pm

John, I've been meaning to ask you how that Lehr has been working out for you? Last we talked, you hadn't used it much on the TX 200?

I really wanted to get one of those, but for now the finances dictated something else a bit less pricey ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby jeadstx » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:00 pm

To tell the truth, I haven't used it since the Tx200. When I raced at the Wurstfest Regatta, I didn't bring it with me since I was going to be racing. Storage is easy since there is no tank to drain, just unscrew the proane bottle. We didn't even use a half pound of propane on the Tx200.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby bigfredsdaysailer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:14 pm

That is very creative! Enjoy! :D
bigfredsdaysailer

Postby KeithS » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Hello,
I found a British Seagull outboard motor for sale, listed for $140. I spoke to the seller today, and he said we would let it go for $80. It has not been run in about 3 years. I think it is a Forty series motor, 1.5 to 2 hp maybe. I only need something to get my DSII safely from/to the dock. I have two paddles, and I always sail with one crew, mostly my wife. A small outboard or trolling motor would be easier than paddles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Keith
KeithS

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Paddles are fine for really short distances....almost any HP will do if you don't try to motor against strong winds/current and are content to get there when you get there, but from around 2HP you should be able to move the DS approaching hull speed. Below that figure on 2-3 knots depending on actual power. From what you write, your seagull should be quite workable.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:55 pm

I looked for a long time for a decent Seagull at a decent price at a decent distance from here, with no joy. :-(

I had seen one on a Sunbird at one of the local lakes, and it just kinda caught my fancy. I liked the simplicity, the "retro aspect" (kinda like the DS itself!), and the power seemed adequate for the DS. Plus, in doing some research, I found that parts are actually fairly available (just check e-bay).

When I got serious about getting an outboard, I checked into the SG again, and still didn't find one, so went with the Honda ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby KeithS » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:51 am

I think I am leaning away from the British Seagull. I've read other forums about those, and there seems to be a love/hate relationship with those motors. The noise and the pollution they produce is a concern, especially on the lake we started sailing on this past summer.

I found an 8 to 10 years year 2 hp Evinrude with a standard shaft, that swivels 360 degrees (for reverse), with an integral gas tank for $250. I think I might go look at that.

I have also been thinking of finding a used 40-50 lb freshwater trolling motor. With a battery, that would cost about $250.00. It might also be used occasionally in saltwater, in which case I would rinse it off with fresh water.

At the moment, I'm thinking a small gas outboard might be a better choice. Once we get more experience, we might venture out to other places in eastern Virginia, where current could be a problem for a trolling motor.
KeithS

Postby KeithS » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:34 pm

I bought the 2 hp Evinrude for $225. I think it is a 95 vintage, and in very good condition. It's very simple, no transmission, standard shaft length, 360 degree swivel steering and integral gas tank. It should fit my needs. Trial fit on the port side of the transom looks good. I tried to attach a photo from my iPhone, but the file is too large.

Looking forward to Spring to try the motor out, the the jib downhaul I rigged after our last Fall sailing day.
KeithS

PreviousNext

Return to Repair and Improvement