Ratchet block

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Ratchet block

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Just added a ratchet block and new mainsheet. Here's how they turned out.

After a somewhat blustery day on the water, I'm an instant convert. I got a Ronstan ratchet block with both manual and automatic settings and replaced the block in the middle of the boom with it. It has only 90 degree turn, which I was told is marginal for a ratchet block, but it worked fine.

I used to have a massive main sheet (1/2") and went down to a 9mm 'racing sheet'. This sheet is very soft, and low stretch, made from a mix of nylon and dyneema. Initially it felt a bit slippery, but was in fact very easy to grip and hold, and worked well with the ratchet block. With some use, it should lose that slippery feel.

In automatic mode, the block will ratchet as long as it's kept under sufficient tension. There appeared to be no way to change that tension value, but it seems to be a good match for the DS (I have the standard rope bridle on the transom with a 2:1 purchase there, and swivel cleat on the CB trunk).

I ended up not cleating the main sheet at all that afternoon. The new sheet is also a lot lighter, which will be nice for low wind. Originally, I wanted to get 10mm, but there was an odd price jump (and the line isn't cheap to begin with). Turns out, with the assist from the ratchet block, 9mm is easier on the hand than 1/2" (13mm) without.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Well, I am envious of your sailing season. We are probably down to 14 inches of snow as we've had a bit of a thaw. The ice probably won't be out on the lakes around here for at least 6 more weeks.

As you've discovered you're totally going to love the ratchet block. I also went with lighter sheet line last year with 8mm buzz line for the main sheet. I put 2 ratchets in the series for the main sheet with a 40 mm on the boom and a 75 mm (a steal on eBay) on the swivel cleat. It does make the smaller line quite comfortable. Also with the Harken or Ronstan blocks the smaller line runs amazingly free as compared to the stock stuff. Quite a pleasure to use, I would say.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Before you get too envious, our series this year seems to show an unfortunate synchronizatopm with the more furious cold fronts coming through. Last weekend we just barely made if off the water before the front hit....All the nice sun breaks with steady wind seem to be happening mid-week.

I only have one stock block left, and that is the one on the swivel cleat. All the other blocks were upgraded long ago by the previous owner or myself. But the ratchet block has a much larger diameter, so, when it's not ratcheting it's the one that runs the most freely.

The whole setup feels more responsive and being able to run the mainsheet from my hand without tiring is a real boon in unsteady winds. Now that I got over the initial excitement, I need to work on making fewer and smaller adjustments :)

Quite a pleasure to use, I would say.

Indeed.

The Bzzz line that you use is way cheaper - I wonder how it compares. I went with something that was stocked locally, because it was a last minute purchase so I'd be able to sail with it right away. The "racing sheet" I ended up with is rather expensive. Besides the difference in materials (dacron/polypropylene vs. nylon/dyneema) the bzzz line seems to be braided using fewer strands. The racing sheet has so many strands that it looks like it's made of a tightly rolled knit sweater...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:51 am

GreenLake wrote:
The Bzzz line that you use is way cheaper - I wonder how it compares....

From what I can tell both lines get good reviews. I ordered mine from Intensity Sails. They are only about 35 miles from my house but out-of-state, so it was free shipping and no tax with next day delivery. Otherwise, I probably would have been tempted to go down to West Marine and get the Racing Sheet which feels pretty good in the store. I'm sure you're going to be pleased with it.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Re: Ratchet block

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Because I was just checking out the new bulletin board, I ran across this post. I can’t remember exactly where but recently I saw a post, maybe a Thistle sailor, where they used their small ratchet lock on the bridle. This gives the 180° of rap for maximum hold, and it’s always on center in case you want to switch it on or off. The other thing they had that I thought was cool was a sister clip attached to the boom and at the tail end of the sheet. They just unclipped it in light air to make it 1:1 instead of the 2:1. Pretty cool!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Repair and Improvement