Relocating jib fairlead

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Relocating jib fairlead

Postby holstein » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:50 pm

I've got a Precision DS-1, which was build with the jib sheet cleats on the foredeck, way too inboard for my liking.

I've been scanning all the pictures on the forum, and have found two configurations that I am considering updating to.

The first has the jib track on the side deck:

The second on the inside of the coamings

Are there any advantages to one configuration of the other ??

Thanks
Bill H
holstein

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:59 am

Geometry.

As you can see in your second example:

the position of the jib sheet can be pulled in by a set of barber in-hauls. Theoretically, that would allow you to put the tracks on the side deck, so that you get the maximum off-center distance for sheeting the jib (say downwind). For upwind, you'd correct that again with an in-haul. (Practically you may not need it, or you'd want to use a whisker pole anyway).

However, you need to not only look at the placement of your fairleads but also to where you want to place your cleats.

In your first example

we don't see where the jib sheets are cleated. In the top picture above, however, you see that they are lead through an eye to keep them parallel to the thwart - presumably for a more positive cleating. With blocks on the deck, you may not be able to get good cleating geometry.

Finally, wouldn't you force your crew to sit further back with the on-deck tracks? That would matter if you're interested in getting good balance. If, on the other hand, you are interested in having an unobstructed back-rest, then that's a clear advantage for the tracks on deck.

That's what I could come up with.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdubes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:59 am

For a few reasons I would recommend that you place the Jib track on the inside the boat like the first picture Greenlake posted.

1 - Up Wind Performance. The farther you push the Jib track away from the center line of the boat, the more you'll need to work the in-hauls to get curl on your jib. It's all about geometry. You don't want to be in a situation where you need to work your in-hauls for casual sailing.

2 - Comfort on the rail. I sit on the rail 99% of the time, and if I had to deal with sitting on a block I would be quite annoyed. Based where you'd need to put the jib track, you'll be sitting on it.

3 - Rookie mistakes. Having a line on the rail without protection is always susceptible to falling into the water, if you keep the line internal that issue goes away. I race in an Ensign and J/24 fleet, and every time we see lines in the water people get goofed on. :)

4. Location of Clam Cleat: if you put the block on the top of the rail and the clam cleat on the top of the CB housing, your line will rub on the edge of the rail.

my2cents and good luck!
jdubes

Return to Repair and Improvement