Boom vang

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby ctenidae » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 pm

I'm thnking a bail on the boom and the angled bracket on the mast. Stainless pop rivets all the way around.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Green Lake,

I think it's time to replace that prototype mast raising contraption with something you can attach your new 20:1 boomvang to. :-) You know you want one!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Boomvang

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Attachment at the Boom is greatly influenced by the Boom Section you have.
A Proctor/Selden Boom allows for a standard SS Car to be fitted into the extruded slot along the bottom of the Boom.
My Ballenger Boom is actually a Thistle Mast extrusion that Buzz used as he built Thistle Masts for many years. Buzz used a SS Forestay Tang that passes for the Boomvang attachment point.
Otherwise a SS Bale through-bolted to a oval sectioned Boom similar to the one that is on the base of Phill's Mast would be fine so long as it doesn't affect your internal outhaul inside the Boom.
Really important to make sure that whatever is used that you take care and throughly wash the area if you sail/race in salt water.
Corrosion between the aluminum spars, SS fasteners, and SS Bales is greatly accelerated by salt water.
Mike Gillum

Postby GreenLake » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:25 pm

My '63 DSI doesn't have a "slot" in the bottom of the boom. Only the sail slot at the top. So, it looks like I'll be looking at a through-bolted bail. Corrosion warning appreciated. And I don't have have an internal outhaul (yet?). The boom's filled with styrofoam, actually.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Boomvang

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:22 pm

I had the same foam cored Boom on #2772 originally which also required the Outhaul to be external.
The problem with that particular Boom was that I was slowly crushing the SS Gooseneck that slid into the sailtrack of the Mast using the 15:1 Boomvang.
A through-bolted SS Bale couldn't do much harm but I would suggect a piece of SS tube to sleeve the boom so that the SS Bolt doesn't crush the sidewalls of the boom over time.
Or the other alternative is a Ronstan SS RF-135 Four Point Boom Hanger that we've used for years on Thistles for the Boomvang and aft lifting point of the sling to hoist the boat in and out of the water.
Mike Gillum

Postby ctenidae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 am

I dry-fitted the Harken vang to the mast this weekend to see how it fit, and I'm mildly concerned that there's not enough room between the lower sheaves and the top of the cuddy, based entirely on the rub marks on the mast. May have to modify the V-bracket to go around the block.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby bm1981 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:45 pm

I just got the west marine, 4:1 vang, Im looking just to keep the boom down when traveling off the wind. Both sides have snap shackles. On my boom I have the button bail and on the mast the eyestrap on the front of the mast.

Should I have a piece of wire made up that has a button and a thimble on it? What size button was standard?

For the mast bail i think I'm going to go with the bail thru the pins on the tabernackle like other are doing it seems the most straight forward.

I will say, I purchased the medium vang off ebay for 95 and its a little big for what i need it for but the price for more was less than the smaller vangs. I will never have to worry about this vang failing, and in a pinch I can re rig to be my mainsheet.
1981 DS II " Miller Time"

Tri Color Lt. Blue/ Blue/ Black Sail # 10825

Barnegat Bay NJ
bm1981

Postby jdoorly » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 pm

If a regular vang won't fit try a gnav! It's an upside down vang...

http://blog.superspars.com/2007/02/15/s ... or-mirror/
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement