Replacing backing to coamings

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

trailer photos from Mike

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:02 pm

here are pictures of Mike's trailer setup.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Mike Gillum » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:06 pm

Just to clarify that I'm in the process of modifying my double-deck Thistle Trailer (bottom photograph) to carry Craig Lee's DS #316 and my #2722 back to Seabrook, Texas for the upcoming Daysailer North American Championships in a couple of weeks.
Two weeks ago I used the forklift at work to hoist #2772 off of it's regular trailer onto the aluminum Thistle dolly we built to create the double-deck trailer four years ago.
The dolly has fore/aft carpeted fiberglass bunks that run perpendicular to the centerline of the line as well as a carpeted 2x6 that run under the keelson between the bunks.
#2772 fit the bunks relatively well and all I'll do is slide a piece of 1/4" closed-cell foam between the hull and forward bunk.
I then put #2772 back onto it's trailer, removed my Thistle from it's galvanized trailer, placed the Thistle on the dolly, and then carefully fit #2772 onto the galvanized trailer.
Found out that #2772 fit the forward bunk of the trailer but the aft bunk was too low and the hull of #2772 was too close for comfort to the side rails of the trailer.
Fit a 2x4 between the keelson of #2772 and the bunk but that wasn't high enough to clear the side rails.
A pair of 2x4's (3") didn't work either but a 4x6 on it's side (3-1/2") did the trick.
The first two photographs are of #2772 on the new wood aft bunk fitted to the Thistle trailer.
The new aft bunk was built using a pair of WEST Epoxy/Filler laminated Doug Fir 2x10's shaped to the hull and a pair of 7" wide pieces of 5/16" Plywood bonded using WEST Epoxy/Filler.
This weekend I'll fiberglass the aft bunk assembly and carpet the plywood section between the hull and bunk then bolt it to the trailer.
I'll shortly send KC photographs to post of the regular trailer for #2772.
Mike Gillum

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:26 pm

Mike sent me some photos of the tandem trailer set up that I thought were really cool so I posted them in a separate thread. In case you're following this thread and want to see that thread it's here http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16122#16122 .
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement