Jib Sheets Revisited

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib Sheets Revisited

Postby Skippa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:02 pm

After searching the archives I can't find the specific information I am looking for. I know that this doesn't mean it isn't there so here goes.
I am planning on improving the run on my jib sheets from the original set up and route them to the center board trunk so single handing can be an easier propositon.
My plan is to retain the original track and just remove the fairlead/cam cleat assembly from the car. Then use the "Garhauer Single Block w/ Swivel Shackle" ($19.00 each) found on the DR Marine product list.
My question is two fold. Has anybody used this approach? And what size Ronstan Cam Cleat would be recommended, small or medium?
The boat is a DSII and I am using 5/16th jib sheets.
As always, Thank you in advance and I welcome all comments and suggestions.
Kevin
(Originaly posted in "misc" )
Skippa

Postby dbk0630 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:43 pm

I've been considering a similar modification to my jib cars/cleats but was planning on using ratchet blocks instead of standard blocks... something along the lines of Ronstan's Series 40 Ratchet Orbit Block shown here: http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?prodno=RF46101. I recently changed the original main sheet block on my boom to a 55mm Orbit Ratchet block and have been very happy with it. As suggested by others on the forum, ratchet blocks make it much easier to adjust sheet tension, leading to less fatigue and stress in the cockpit. I can often let the ratchet hold the tension on the line and avoid using the cleat altogether. They are more expensive... about $50 per instead of $20... but are worth the investment.

Not sure what you were planning on using to attach the new blocks to the jib tracks... I was thinking of using something like this:
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/rigging/rl48/index.htm

I too would like to know what size would be recommended for installing the cam cleats on the cb trunk.

The only change I was able to make so far was to my jib sheets... I replaced the original 5/16 line to 7mm Bzzz line. It was a relatively cheap and quick fix... the new line holds much better in the old nasty jib cleats.
Dave K.
dbk0630

Re: Jib Sheets Revisited

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:37 am

Skippa wrote:My plan is to retain the original track and just remove the fairlead/cam cleat assembly from the car. Then use the "Garhauer Single Block w/ Swivel Shackle" ($19.00 each) found on the DR Marine product list.
My question is two fold. Has anybody used this approach? And what size Ronstan Cam Cleat would be recommended, small or medium?
The boat is a DSII and I am using 5/16th jib sheets.
As always, Thank you in advance and I welcome all comments and suggestions.

The specs for the Garhauer don't include line size, for that you have to dig down a bit. I found http://garhauermarine.com/specs.cfm.

The ronstan cam cleats, both small and medium would cover the line size you have, 5/16. The price difference is three bucks, list, or 10%. I believe I've used the equivalent of the medium (my jib sheets are oversized at 3/8th).

I ended up replacing my complete jib tracks, but the decision was made for me: the old one actually broke. At the time, I used Harken tracks with matching cars. The blocks on these cars cannot be removed - which is a downside that I'm beginning to appreciate when I read about ratchet blocks.

I changed my main to a ratchet block and that's been great. If it was easier to do, I might have done the jib blocks as ratchets as well, by now. As it is, I need to decide whether I want to cut apart the existing blocks on the cars, or get new jib cars.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Jib Sheets Revisited

Postby Skippa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 am

Dave,
Great suggestion about the ratchet blocks. I am looking at the Ronstan RF46100 due to the swivel shackle attachment. I believe I will be able to attach them directly to the exsiting cars with a clevis pin through the shackle. If not the Duckworks cars are a great option. Thanks.
GreenLake,
As always, Thanks for the cleat info. Going with the medium size. I am going to wait a day or so to place my order because knowing this site, Someone else may come in with another great suggestion.
Kevin
Skippa

Postby Kleanbore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 pm

My 1974 DSII (7182) has cam cleats (recently replaced with Harken 150s) and bullseye fairleads on the CB trunk and single blocks on the jib tracks. The previous owner added clam cleats on the aft end of the jib tracks which hold single Harken blocks which are eye spliced to about 18" of line. The line is lead through the factory Schaefer jib blocks an then to the clam cleats. The jib sheets are lead through these adjustable blocks. At first I was puzzled by this rigging, but I later realized this functions as Barber haulers. I plan to replace the Harken blocks with Ronstan ratchet blocks as one of my next upgrades.
Using the newer model jib cars with cam cleats attached would eliminate the need for the clam cleats.
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Kerry,
I read your description twice, and I still can't picture it.
Photo?

A./
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:12 pm

@Skippa: The Harken 150 mentioned by Kerry are what I have as well, However, as I wrote they should be the equivalent of the medium size Ronstans, the only difference being that the Harken are rated for slightly higher loads (irrelevant).

Here's a picture of the cleats:
Are you planning on rigging Barber inhauls?
Here's a picture showing the track and the business end of an inhaul.
Here are two pictures showing the cleats for the inhauls, but I have since learned to rig the inhauls to the other cleat (so that the two lines cross each other on the top of the cuddy - the lines are longer and easier to reach for an adjustment).
823 769
I need to take better pictures sometime, these are just cropped from snapshots. :oops:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Kleanbore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm

My jib tracks have simple cars with single blocks. Newer DSII boats had cars with a cam cleat and a bullseye fairlead.
Picture a single block (without swivel) spliced to 18" or so of 3/16" line. The bitter end of the line is lead through the jib block and then to a cleat at the aft end of the jib track. Adjusting the line changes the jib sheeting angle.
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby Skippa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 pm

GreenLake,
I do intend to install barber in-hauls as soon as I have the sheeting modified, I have a couple of clam cleats that will be positioned on the top of the cabin. I was able to tour the La Crosse WI Yacht club on a recent motorcycle trip and got a close up look at "The Muskrat Fleet" of DaySailers on location so I have a pretty good idea of how I am going to mount them.
I do have a photo of the original cam cleat assembly in my gallery and will try to attach it to this post.
Kevin

Skippa

Jib Sheets

Postby Skippa » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:09 am

Modification is complete. Installed the Ronstan RF46100 ratchet blocks and was able to use the original cars on the track. Also used the medium size Ronstan cam cleats on the centerboard trunk. Good choices on both.
Have had her out a few times now in winds up to about 12 kts. Single handing is so much easier now.
Thanks for the input. It is appreciated.
Kevin
Skippa

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:03 am

I'm also using 40 mm Ronstan auto ratchets and 7 mm bzzz line for my jib set up and I like it just fine. As you say, way better for single handing.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby jeadstx » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:31 am

I modified mine before the Texas 200 to make working with the jib sheets easier. I put cam cleats from Duckworks on the centerboard trunk and used the original track cars, but removed the original fairlead/cam cleat assembly and replaced it with a block. I wanted to be able switch back easily if needed.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Jib Sheets

Postby Skippa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 pm

jeadstx wrote:I modified mine before the Texas 200 to make working with the jib sheets easier. I put cam cleats from Duckworks on the centerboard trunk and used the original track cars, but removed the original fairlead/cam cleat assembly and replaced it with a block. I wanted to be able switch back easily if needed.

John

John,
Identical to the mod I made, brand of hardware the only difference. Was out today and gusts to 25 mph were common, Very happy with update.
I will keep the old hardware, not sure why but it will go in "the box"
Kevin
Skippa

Return to Repair and Improvement