Mast Base Position?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast Base Position?

Postby Nifty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm fixing up what I believe is a very old Daysailer 1. Amongst other problems, I'm not sure the mast base is properly positioned on the cuddy as the boat has too much weather helm. I know there are other factors that can cause this, but since the mast support was positioned against the fwd end of the centrecase! this is as good a place to start as any. There is a rough diamond shape moulded in to the cuddy about where it should be, but that is off-centre so I don't feel confident that it's right. (The mast base has been mounted close to this diamond mark, not above the mast support.)
I don't think there are any other DSs in the area I can copy from.
I've made a new rudder and stock, thanks to diagrams I located via this site. That was necessary since the one it came with disintegrated in the first decent blow we went out in. But it was an exhilarating sail.

Just on the off-chance, any record of other DS 17s in Victoria?
Nifty

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 pm

You might be the only one in Victoria. At least I haven't heard or read of any boats in Australia. I know of two in Europe, from people mentioning them on this site and other internet sites.

I'm a bit unsure about your layout. You appear to have a separate mast support with the mast stepped from the deck?

Photos would help.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement