Replacing CB Gaskets

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacing CB Gaskets

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Quick question: Can this be done while the DS is on the trailer, and what do I need to watch out for?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:06 pm

I had written "gaskets" not "gasket", because there are two on my DS 1, one on each side of the CB trunk.

After digging around on the site for a while, I've come up with this link that describes the factory standard setup for a DS1 (thanks to Bob Hunkins).

http://www.bobhunkins.com/surprise/archive/000487.html

In contrast to that setup, my CB has a 3/4" bolt coming through the Port side of the trunk. It's the gasket for that bolt that is leaking. I can only surmise that this represents a modification by a previous owner.

As designed, the CB is supported only on the SB side. When loaded, it gets wedged inside the trunk, that's why a single sided support is possible.

I think the person who made the modification drilled, and probably tapped the CB spindle from the reverse side to add additional support.

OK, will see whether I can undo that bolt to get to the gasket. If it's corroded in place, with a 3/4 bolt where the threads are not accessible to penetrating oil, it could be challenging.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 pm

OK, the bolt came out easily enough, and the state of the washer was "interesting". As the CB handle stayed in place there was no issue with the CB moving during the repair.

But what about repairing the standard gasket on the SB side? Can that be done with the DS on the trailer or would the CB drop/shift to where the handle can't be inserted back in?

I may postpone fixing that side until I work on the CB again, anyway, because I also have an issue with slight play - the square hole in the CB doesn't seem to fit the square spindle on the CB handle perfectly any longer, something I probably ought to check out sooner or later - however, it's been that way since I got the boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby seandwyer » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Greenlake,

I can't guarantee that your CB will stay in place, but when I did this it did. I was prepared to get underneath and raise it back into place if need be, but it only dropped about 1/4 inch or so before it was supported on a trailer roller. I just pulled the rod / axle thing out and placed another gasket on, then reassembled. But my axle is rounded on the end - as a bullet shape, then square in the middle where it passes through the board. The bullet nose rides inside a cup on the opposite side (port), whereas you have another bolt.

As long as you have a roller placed at both ends of the CB I don't think it can drop enough to prevent you from easily passing the axle back through. I was really surprised how easy it was.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:28 pm

@seandwyer: Thanks for the quick and encouraging reply. I only have one roller under the CB, but putting something like a wood block should be simple enough.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ctenidae » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 am

I found it easier to careen mine to replace the CB (still not easy to get it lined up), but if you can support the CB somehow where it doesn't move when you pul the handle, you should be golden. If you lift it a tiny tiny bit to take the weight off the CB handle, you'll be even better off.
Formerly 28 cents
DS1 1114

Now, sadly, powered boating...
ctenidae

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:47 pm

OK. good. The SB side gasket is still in decent shape, so I think I can hold off with that one until I next work on the CB anyway, after the end of the season. I'll want to pull it eventually to see whether the square hole is about to wear into a round hole. I do have some play in the CB handle.

However, should it show sings of failing before that, I'm relieved to hear that I could to this replacement on the trailer.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement