Severely cracked leading edge of centerboard DSII

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Hmmm ... that's a new one on me! Wonder why they changed it then, apparently at some point between '73 and '79?

Does the uphaul still exit the front of the trunk and point towards the mast, and is it still a continuous line arrangement?
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:17 pm

My 1980 DSII has both lines horizontal along the starboard side of the centerboard trunk, and passing through plastic grommets in the cuddy bulkhead to the rest of the arrangement, all of which is inside the cuddy.

The only part of the centerboard line arrangement outside the cuddy is the uphaul and downhaul lines, along with a single horn cleat.

I hope to have some free time tomorrow, so will post pictures.
Alan

Postby hectoretc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:33 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:Hmmm ... that's a new one on me! Wonder why they changed it then, apparently at some point between '73 and '79?

Does the uphaul still exit the front of the trunk and point towards the mast, and is it still a continuous line arrangement?

Hi Tim,
The uphaul does pass through the front of the CB trunk, using the same block system I've seen pictured for most DSIIs and exits the cuddy above the CB trunk (you can see it in the wider angle photo coming out under where the boom is laying. I don't think it would be considered a continuous line, although I'm not 100% sure what that means in this context. There is a single cable attached to the top of the centerboard with one end (downhaul) passing into the cuddy, and the other end exiting the top of the CB trunk as discussed so in that respect the cable is continuous, but in the cockpit, there are clearly two seperate lines (not connected in any way) for the uphaul and the down haul actions.
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby hectoretc » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:42 pm

talbot wrote:Looks like a standard factory downhaul to me. I think that's the original system. It's what I have on my 1973 DS II. When I owned a '79, both lines were inside the cuddy. I would agree this this is a "drier" system that the more recent one. I would not change it.

Thanks Talbot. In the history section of this board a number of people responded to my hull number query putting the probably vintage of this boat right around 1973 so that jives with your past experience. As stated in this thread, my boat is in restore/recovery mode after I acquired it late in the summer so I have yet to get it in the water. Have you experienced any troubles with the top mounted downhaul? I'm wondering why they would have re-engineered it in later versions as was apparently done.

Thanks again for the info...
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 pm

Here's what I mean by a continous line:

(There used to be a horn cleat where the clam cleats are now)

The upper one (downhaul) goes through a grommet into the cuddy, through a block, and up to the downhaul tackle mounted to the underside of the cuddy roof lip.

The lower one (uphaul) goes through another grommet into the cuddy and forward to the uphaul tackle mounted to the cuddy sole behind the mast step.

The downhaul, coming from the CB and up through the top of the CB trunk just forward of the cuddy bulkhead, is 1/4" line. The uphaul, coming from the CB and out through the front of the CB trunk, is steel cable.
Last edited by TIM WEBB on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Having used both systems, I prefer the older style. It is one less hole in the main bulkhead, one less hole between the dry cuddy space and wet side of the CB trunk, more efficient pull angle on the CB, and it is easier to access the cuddy space without the uphaul line between the CB trunk and cuddy roof. Finally, it's one less job you have to do before going sailing.
talbot

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:04 pm

See, that's the thing tho: it's the *downhaul* that goes between the top of the trunk and roof, not the uphaul. And if it was the uphaul that was the problem all along, why did they only change the downhaul?

I guess with the DS2 CB system (downhauls and uphauls), compared to the DS1 lever (God I wish our -2's still had that!), there are bound to be lines running every which way no matter what, and to me they're a PITA no matter if they're in the cuddy or around the CB trunk or both ... :roll:

Oh, I meant to post this earlier. It's been posted here before, but might be helpful again. Shows the problem w/ the DS2 uphaul:

http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/DS2CBTLK_100.pdf
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Oops. Tim is right. I was confusing my "up" and "down." But I still prefer having the, um, wait . . . let me think about it . . . DOWNhaul coming out the top of the CB trunk in the cockpit.

In any case, the boat in question is already rigged this way. I think he should get on the water and sail for a season before taking on any extra work. Fixing the CB and trunk has priority.

Roger has a method in his book for minimizing CB uphaul leaks and reinforcing the forward through-hull in the CB trunk.
talbot

Postby Kleanbore » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Has anyone else pondered the possibility of installing the lever operated centerboard control on a DSII?

What, if anything is between the centerboard trunk and the outer hull?

Is there enough bracing to mount the lever?

Can a longer shaft be machined to compensate for the width of the outer hull?

I don't see anything in the handbook which would make this conversion against class rules, but... Would this be in compliance with Class Rules?
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby Alan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:41 pm

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2759

The link above goes to another thread on centerboard uphaul-downhaul mechanisms. The poster, Capt Dave, converted his DSII to the system used by the Boston Whaler 5.2. To see photos of it, click on his profile in the post where he says "I've added more photos." (If you do that in earlier posts, you'll only get some of the photos.)

I like the look of Capt Dave's setup - it's tidy as all get-out - but I wondered two things:
1. What would keep water from splashing up through the uphaul/downhaul holes in the top of the centerboard trunk?
2. How much effort would be required to raise or lower the board with a direct pull? There's probably a reason the stock system has purchases.
Alan

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement