oxidation on deck of DS2

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

oxidation on deck of DS2

Postby Robbie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:38 am

ive read through previous post regarding cleaning daysailer deck of the chalky oxidation, but im a little confused to what is perhaps best and doesnt provide a slippery result. would a simple marine rubbing compound work best? or is there a better solution? thanks for any thoughts.
Robbie

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:30 pm

As long as you stay away from wax of any kind, you should be fine, I should think.

Marine rubbing compound would make the deck slightly dull, 3M makes a product that you can use afterwards to get a more polished look - it's like a rubbing compound with a finer grain, so there's no wax.

I can't think of the name for it, but if you look for a 3M product listing you should find it easily.

Their "Fiberglass restorer" on the other hand seems to be a mixture of some sort of mild rubbing compound with a wax. I'd stay away from that for decks, but it's fine for the hull.

After polishing, and where you didn't use Wax you can use the equivalent of Mop'nGlo for a durable shine. It's a long lasting acrylic, one of the brand names is something like NuGlass. I don't think it will be quite as slippery as wax - and unlike wax you can easily remove these coatings with ammonia (or the special cleaner they sell you as prep for re-coating). This stuff should last you for a season and the results should look great.

There was a test on this at Practical Sailor a while back, that's a nice publication, by the way, although some stuff they test is strictly big boat stuff.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement