Missing one side of the tack mount on DSII gooseneck

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Missing one side of the tack mount on DSII gooseneck

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 pm

I made it myself. It's 5/16" x .049 wall SS tubing we use to make ripcord handles at work.

Yes, there was a batch of hooks made "the wrong way around", and I got one of 'em. It's supposed to go on the port side, but even if you try to put it on the stbd side it's useless ... that's why I made my own ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 am

"but even if you try to put it on the stbd side it's useless ... that's why I made my own ..."

See, that's why it's a good thing I'm stuck at my desk and can't get on the water. I read the posts here and find this stuff out ahead of time. :D
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 pm

It's all good Alan - we all find out eventually! :D
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby asabatelli » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm about to embark on this same repair. I have the new part in my hand, and I'm not understanding how new rivets will work to attach it to to the end of the boom? Will I need to re-rivet it on? Thanks for any assistance,
asabatelli

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 pm

The new part will not have any holes in the "flange".

Just "dry fit" it into the end of the boom, and drill the holes for the rivets using the existing holes in the boom. Then use SS pop rivets to secure it.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby Breakin Wind » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am

Operating under the premise, that anything I put on, I'll eventually want to someday take off again (for at that time unknown reasons), I drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 SS screws rather than using rivits.
Breakin Wind

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 pm

From reading around a bit I gather that rivets are indeed the better solution if you mount something on a relatively thin-walled tube. The fact that you have to drill them out isn't enough of a deterrent - how often do you change out gear like that? If the tube is thin-walled, it just doesn't have enough material to give the threads enough to grip, unless you use sheet metal screws (which are designed to work in thin material).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeah, I think the 1/4-20's would work as well.

GL, the threads would be tapped in the thicker flange of the casting. That's the way the mast hinge kit from D&R is installed. This link shows a good pic of the gooseneck casting flange:

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR116A
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement