Fixed running lights

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Fixed running lights

Postby talbot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:09 pm

I was just posting to a discussion in "Sails" about mounting a UPS stem bracket forward of the jib tack. It got me thinking . . . has anyone come up with a way of wiring permanent lights up there? We've discussed several ways of mounting the removable running lights, and I've got that system working. But now that I've got a battery, I am contemplting the convenience of throwing a switch in the cockpit rather than bronco riding the fordeck while trying to screw the light in place.

I have measured out various other locations (aft of the jib or on the cuddy sides) but it looks to me like none of them would be "street-legal." All those positions are blocked at some angles by the jib or the deck angle when heeled.

No problem getting power to the forepeak, but I have yet to see a combo light or pair that would fit without my constructing a blobby platform beyond the stem. With my driving, that would last maybe one or two dockings.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Side mounted lights in the hull right below the rub-rail should work. you'd need to cut holes, because you'd want them recessed (so the rubrail can continue to take the brunt of your driving :shock: :D ) and there may be some fiddling to get them to point correctly.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Clyde » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 am

I have not personally mounted running lights but it would seem that mounting them on the sides of the cuddy cabin would work best. On any sailboat there is always the danger of a light being hidden when heeling ot blanketed by the sail. My jib is cut fairly high so blanketing does not seem to be a problem.

There are many other posts on this subject.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Return to Repair and Improvement