Trailer improv

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:59 pm

triathjohn, sorry, no pic. Don't overthink it- it's like having a second winch on the back of the trailer with it's rope attached to the bow so when you wind the winch the boat moves toward the winch and off the back of the trailer, except there is no second winch, the winch rope is just diverted, by the snap shackle/block, so it can pull from the opposite direction.

Yes, I use the same winch for either operation. I've only used the system for backing the boat off the trailer once, because the extension has been so easy to use and effective. I backed the boat off the trailer in my back yard so I could work on the centerboard. It worked well with no water there so I assume it will also work well with some water.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:46 pm

If I understand jdoorly's approach correctly, this is how I would work in on my trailer, without using any extra hardware whatsoever:

1. Unroll the winch rope or strap.
  2. tie the painter to the bow eye.
  3. lead the painter back underneath the boat - on top of all rollers
  4. run it around the rearmost roller, and
  5. tie to the winch shackle

Cranking on the winch would then result in a backward pull on the painter.

With well lubricated easy rolling rollers that should not be necessary - my personal "low tech" boat "pusher offer" used to be (with the old rollers) to stand on my bumper, lean against the back of the vehicle and "kick" the bow away from me.

Having a tilt-back (or break-back) trailer helps enormously if you can get one).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Pretty close GL, but it's not necessary to bring the winch rope past the trailer axle. So, also not necessary to weave the rope between hull and rollers/bunks.

My trailer is Magic Tilt but i have never used that feature; how does it work with your boat?
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm

If you're only interested in getting the boat started, you could use an earlier roller. The point was to use the roller itself as the turning block.

Tilt works well when launching.
Relase the lock, push the boat until it's CG is behind the axle (about a foot in my case) and let go.

On retrieval, I found it matters to limit the tilt angle. On my trailer a simple strop will do that and with the angle limited the trailer does not get so steep as to impede retrieval.

I usually don't retrieve with the tilt feature, preferring to drive further into the water, but in some circs it's useful, like retrieving from dry ground.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement