Cockpit drain to bilge?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cockpit drain to bilge?

Postby hectoretc » Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 am

One of the first things I've discovered with my new pre-sailing experience is how much water can collect in a DSII cockpit when you have a couple major rainstorms. I have a boom tent but it's open on the bow and stern ends and with the 40-60 mph winds associated with our recent storms, I've come out each weekend to a full cockpit of water (up to the run off drain).

I have a hand pump (one of those gallon = six stroke things) that I've used the past couple weeks, but I also have this nice 1100 gph bilge pump that clears the 2-4 inches of bilge water that is finding a way into the bilge in about 30-60 seconds.

So my question is, how stupid of an idea is it to put a drain hole from the back collection well into the bilge. I'd put a stopper in it so it's not open 24/7 but my thinking is that under controlled conditions it would be a heck of a lot more productive to put all the water where the bilge pump can get to it, rather than having to deal with it as two separate tasks.

Thoughts and comments please?
Thanks,
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby Alan » Tue May 29, 2012 1:12 pm

I've been able to drain my bilge by jacking the front end of the trailer up (actually, way up) and opening the drain plug in the bottom center of the transom.
Alan

Postby hectoretc » Tue May 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Alan,
My boat is docked, and so opening the drain plug would be counter-productive... :shock:
I guess I hadn't mentioned that little tidbit.
Thanks!
DS #6127 - Breakin' Wind - From the land of 10,000 lakes, which spend 80% of the year frozen it seems...
hectoretc

Postby mike31416 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:09 pm

I just leave the cockpit self bailer open. The boat floats only allowing an inch or two of water in the rear to accumulate.

Mike
mike31416

Postby hectoretc » Tue May 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Ah... that's interesting, I can almost see that working. When I'm not in the boat even the bilge drain is mostly out of the water.

Thanks, I'll try that first!
hectoretc

Return to Repair and Improvement