Paint for interior hull

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Paint for interior hull

Postby PassingWind » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:31 am

Ok so i stripped down the inside replaced the stringers and reinforced some of the interior hull. I really want to use an 2 part epoxy inside but i am concerned that since there is some flex it will get spider cracks.

Any input on this theory? Is there something else i should use? Please any brands that i should be looking at.

Thx rob
PassingWind

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:42 pm

I painted the interior of my boat with PPG Aquapon WB a water-based two-part epoxy paint. I bought it from George Kirby paint company in New Bedford. It was recommended to me by the president of Forte Carbon Fiber Products who is also partners in MAS Epoxy. He said that it would make an excellent bilge paint because it didn't mind standing water on it.

I'm on my third season and don't really see any changes in it. It still looks great. It's very flexible so spider cracking it's not going to be a problem.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby PassingWind » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Thx for the info. How much did you need to coat the inside? Did you do one coat or two. Thx
PassingWind

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 pm

I bought a half gallon kit, a quart of each component. I thought I was going to do two coats but ended up with one, as it covered well. I'm pretty sure I would've had enough to do two coats. I brushed it on and I can barely see brush marks but they are there. If I were to do it again I would use those nice foam trim rollers that you can get at Home Depot. They are about 1 1/4" in diameter, about 4 inches long, and one end is cigar shaped. Those things put down a really nice coat.

I only painted the inside of the hull. I did not paint the tops of the seat tanks or the underside of the cuddy.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby rodneyallen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:36 am

Use a polyurethane or epoxy paint made and sold for marine use on boats.The only house paints that come close in terms of binding and being durable and impermeable, would be epoxy basement/garage floor paints, and they will wind up costing just as much.

custom cabinets bay area
rodneyallen

Return to Repair and Improvement