Keel Step Repair Advice

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Keel Step Repair Advice

Postby Saltatrix » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi All,

I'm seeking some advice on repairing the keel step on my DS1.

When I got the boat, the screws were stripped out and I re-glassed the keel to attempt to reinforce and install new (longer) screws. This worked okay last season, but after getting beat up in a hurricane last year, the mast step ripped out again. Now, I'm thinking about cutting into the keel and installing a pressure treated 2x4 to drill into. I may see how this works for the summer and then glass over the whole deal this winter if it holds well.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this or has advice?
Many thanks,
~Saltatrix
DS1 #3312
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnlovett/5916312896/
Saltatrix

Maybe this will be useful

Postby Marv Irwin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Check out my post in the Day Sailer I forum of June 08, 2011 for a repair I made. Greenlake`s comment about epoxy is good advice if you`re in a more salty environment than I am. Pretty paint job (inside/out) by the way....

M
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 pm

+1 on the paint job!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Saltatrix » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Thanks for the replies and for the compliments on my paint job :D

Before cutting into the keel, I think I'll try the suggestion from Greenlake / K.C.

If the fiberglass is sound and it's just a matter of the screws having widened the holes they are in, you could use the method K.C. has been advocating:
    Wax the screw
    Fill the holes with epoxy
    Insert screw

Having the screw in the hole will let the epoxy cure and take up the extra room, while the wax will prevent it from bonding to the screw, so you should be able to remove it later.

Will let y'all know how it goes!
Cheers,
~Saltatrix
Saltatrix

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 pm

That epoxy trick with the waxed threads works well. With thickened epoxy you can build a little stalactite on the inside of the keelson by repeatedly dipping something like a tooth pick in your epoxy and scraping it on the edges of the hole. This gives you a little more thickness for threads.

I used a cut off of ipe decking lumber on top of my keelson. It's superstrong. This way I spread the load out and was able to use more screws in different locations. I just trimmed a little bit off of the mast to compensate. The mast was kind of corroded at the end anyway.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Repair and Improvement