Forestay hanging on by a Thread!

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Forestay hanging on by a Thread!

Postby SaltySails » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 am

I just put my daysailer in the water over the weekend and didn't have the proper tool to raise the mast uP enough to tighten the stays. I sailed it in light wind that day to the mooring without a problem. Yesterday, I went to take care of it. And found that the forestay has dwindled down to two thin strands of wire (the other 4-6 have snapped, down by the apparatus at the bottom of the stay). Does anyone know where I can purchase a new stay? My hull number is 13740, class 2381. I'm not sure of the year of the boat or the length of the stay. I'd appreciate any help!
Laura 🌅⛵
SaltySails

More info from Salty Sails..

Postby SaltySails » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 am

I forgot to mention, it's an ODay. I'd love to get it fixed and back sailing ASAP, as my sailing season on Cape Cod has only a couple months remaining.
Laura 🌅⛵
SaltySails

Postby navahoIII » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:16 am

Try Arey's Pond boatyard in Orleans. I took my mast there once to have a spreader and sidestay replaced. First class work!
navahoIII

Postby seandwyer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 am

Any place selling supplies and rigging for sailboats should be able to measure your existing stay and swage the correct hardware onto the ends for you. Or, you could just call D&R Marine and have Rudy mail you the right replacement stay. I don't know how far you are from MA, but I usually receive things from them in just a couple of days.
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby Moose » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:30 pm

The rigging loft/rigging only is in Fairhaven, they do great work at good prices. I have purchased 3 sets of stays from them for different boats.

http://www.riggingonly.com/

Note some daysailers came with 3/32" stays but O'Day eventually switched to 1/8" because of failures. If you have 3/32" you might want to consider upgrading everything.[/url]
Moose

Forestay on its way!

Postby SaltySails » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks everybody for all the great advice, and for such a quick response. I decided to order a new forestay from D&R Marine. I'm hoping it arrives by the weekend so I can get back on the water. Hope you're all having a great day! -Laura :)
Laura 🌅⛵
SaltySails

Return to Repair and Improvement