Painting

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 29, 2000 1:17 am

Can anyone tell me all the details in redoing the paint for a fiberglass daysailer. I want to know recommended paint brands, techniques, estimated costs and any knowledge you can give me. Sincerly appreciate it - Thanks.

Susan Bostick (liv2soar-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 01, 2000 12:28 pm

Susan, I'd go to a local Marine store (WEST MARINE, BOAT/US, BOATERS WORLD) or a Marina with a store and pick up a handbook from each paint brand they sell. I have used INTERLUX and had good luck, PETIT is also good. The handbook (usually FREE) will give the recommended procedures for repainting your boat. If the paint that is presently on the boat is not peeling, just doesn't look "shipshape" anymore then you should be able to just sand and repaint if you can use the same type of paint as is on the boat. Some paints can not be used over other types, some can. As I say, I have had good luck using INTERLUX Brightside Polyurethane to repaint fiberglass boats, having painted both a 7' dinghy and a 14' powerboat. Both these boats were painted over bare fiberglass (gelcoated) so I had to dewax, sand, prime, then 2-3 coats of finish paint. I applied the paint with a foam brush, but a foam roller could also be used.
One problem with all Polyurethane paints, they do not like to be constantly immersed in water. They will bubble and peel, so I used an alkyd enamel to do the waterline stripes on my boats and since I boat in saltwater, I used antifoulant on the bottom.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement