Tilt Trailer Question

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tilt Trailer Question

Postby JoeLena » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

So I am working on restoring the old trailer I have, a 67 Magline that tilts. The "latch assembly", or whatever the correct term is, is in bad shape. I am having trouble finding a suitable replace online, or perhaps just searching for the wrong name. Can someone tell me what the correct term is? And if anyone has redone theirs I would love to hear or see what was done. Thanks.

JoeLena

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:29 pm

I have a tilt trailer that's older than yours. I use mine in salt water, which means it has a continuing rust problem, and needs occasional restoration. I dd not have to replace my latch, fortunately, but was just able to clean it up and protect it with some paint. (The latch on mine works a bit differently from yours and has one extra moving part).

However, from the photo it looks like there's still plenty of life in yours. I would take it apart, sand off all the rust, treat it with rust converter and paint all the parts.

I would pay attention to the spring, that might be the first to give out, but you should be able to replace it. The second critical item might be whatever the spring pushes against - if needed you could replace that by a washer and a cotter pin (might need to drill a hole for the latter).

There's so much metal in the handle and the U bracket, which are the only purpose built (and load bearing) pieces that even without treatment they would easily last for an extended period. (I can only see surface rust in the picture).

The usual caveat applies with regards to "remote diagnostics" based on a single picture...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JoeLena » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:31 pm

GreenLake wrote:I have a tilt trailer that's older than yours. I use mine in salt water, which means it has a continuing rust problem, and needs occasional restoration. I dd not have to replace my latch, fortunately, but was just able to clean it up and protect it with some paint. (The latch on mine works a bit differently from yours and has one extra moving part).

However, from the photo it looks like there's still plenty of life in yours. I would take it apart, sand off all the rust, treat it with rust converter and paint all the parts.

I would pay attention to the spring, that might be the first to give out, but you should be able to replace it. The second critical item might be whatever the spring pushes against - if needed you could replace that by a washer and a cotter pin (might need to drill a hole for the latter).

There's so much metal in the handle and the U bracket, which are the only purpose built (and load bearing) pieces that even without treatment they would easily last for an extended period. (I can only see surface rust in the picture).

The usual caveat applies with regards to "remote diagnostics" based on a single picture...

Thanks GreenLake. After posting and looking at the pic I though: Yeah, that's not so bad. So I'll look for a spring and clean up the rest. Have pleanty of POR-15 left from the keel. I guess I thought it might be easy to find a replacement, but of course isn't.
JoeLena

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:38 pm

And you may not even need a new spring - but check it carefully.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement