Winter Repairs, Part 1

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Winter Repairs, Part 1

Postby jdoorly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 pm

I should have added "on a lake", as currents and tidal drift is not leeway.

What's wonderful about sailing is that it doesn't take a lot of knowledge to get started but you can spend a lifetime getting it right.
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 pm

I hear you there. Just reread a post I made in 2010 and could tell right away that there was something where I now have better knowledge than even just over a couple of years ago. In this case it was "local knowledge" from having sailed more often and in more conditions on the same body of water. Rereading old posts is fun.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby UCanoe_2 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 am

Work on the centerboard is paused for the time being, but other repairs are in progress. A previous owner had sawed off the tiller, resulting in insufficient leverage for counteracting a strong weather helm. I subcontracted making of the new white oak tiller to the cabinetmaking students at the rehab center where I work. Materials and labor cost = $0! The new tiller is 52" long which is probably a bit too big. Is the stock tiller supposed to be 48"?

I also installed a new tongue jack on the trailer this evening.

I need to get the shop organized and build a workbench so I will have a place to work on the centerboard. Tuning up the old (ca. 1966) Craftsman radial arm saw is a step in that direction. It is rather cranky, and is still cutting about 3/4 of a degree out of square, but for tonight my tolerance for fiddling with it has maxed out. The green object on the right side of the picture is a ca. 1957 ShopSmith bandsaw.

"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:27 am

Canoe:

If you normally get really strong weather helm perhaps you should look for some adjustment in sail or rig trim first? My DS is rather balanced in all conditions except perhaps when nearly overpowered. (New sails a few years ago have only improved that.)

If you are using the rudder to overcome weather helm, you are sailing with your parking brake on. The additional lift you are asking the rudder blade to provide comes at a price of significant additional drag.

If you can reduce the weather helm by changing mast rake or sail trim to the point where you just get a little bit for better feedback, you'd have to work less and would sail faster. Win-win so to speak. But you probably knew that already.

That said, my tiller is also a bit longer than stock. Fine for cruising, but it can get in the way if you try to tack quickly. Most of the time I sail with tiller extension anyway, so I can sit even further forward or on the side.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby UCanoe_2 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi GreenLake,

The strong weather helm is only when I am heeled a lot, say 15 kt wind and I shoulda reefed already. Most of the time the balance is OK, although I'm sure some fine tuning could be done. The longer tiller will also allow me to sit further forward to improve trim, particularly when I have an outboard on the stern.

I'm trying to figure out from the times of your posts whether you are a night owl or a really early riser. I just realized you are in a different time zone.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Postby GreenLake » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:50 am

UCanoe_2 wrote:I'm trying to figure out from the times of your posts whether you are a night owl or a really early riser. I just realized you are in a different time zone.

All three, actually. And I've known to not stick to "my" time zone....

Strong weather helm when the boat is overpowered is to be expected, I would say. I've had the DS simply round up sharply instead of being knocked flat when unexpected gusts have hit.

In terms of increasing the range of available seating positions for better balance nothing beats a tiller extension. What I have currently is an adjustable one from Forespar (I think their 4' model) which has a stainless steel bushing that you fit flush in the tiller, and to which you insert a SS universal joint.

I do like being able to take the extension off altogether, but if I had a retainer clip, to store it along the top of the tiller that would be OK as well. I mounted the tiller extension too close to the tip. 2" further back would have left me enough room to fit my hand on the tiller w/o touching the extension. (Second reason why I like to remove mine when not using it). Having an adjustable extension can be nice, but it tends to come "unadjusted" in use, usually at the critical moment. If it's not adjustable, it should be the maximal length that you can still swing to the other side given the constraints from the main sheet and bridle. Mine ends in a little "bulb" which is tempting to use as grip. I've learned it's better to have the extension pass your shoulder and to grip the shaft sideways and from below. Finally, if you don't need to remove the extension, having a rubber U-joint may work better. They prevent the extension from falling down when you let go, but are otherwise still bendy enough to not interfere with its use.

Having written that, do I find any of these super-critical? Well, not enough for me to make any changes, but at times I wish I had made them. (I have another boat which is set up differently, and perhaps at some point I'll conclude that having both work the same is what's most important ... will see).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement