Careen to paint bottom?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Careen to paint bottom?

Postby Alan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:05 pm

The photo was in color, so that leaves out the Quarterly. I've actually linked to it in a previous post, but I just went through all of my posts and none of the thread titles ring a bell. I've also tried a bunch of logical-sounding search terms in a search engine, but nothing so far.
Alan

Postby fatire » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks fellow enthusiasts for your experiences and helpful hints!
fatire

Postby jdoorly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Hi John, I usually careen with the mast as leverage but once tried doing it without the mast in place using a come-along (a length of wire rope with a ratcheting lever and winch drum). I rigged the come-along from the port chainplate athwartships over the starboard side and to the base of a tether ball pole. To keep the boat from sliding sideways towards the tether ball pole when engaging the come-along I rigged a rope from midships over the starboard side and under the boat athwartships and made fast to a fence post. As I recall I had to tie-off the boat several times to reset the come-along, perhaps I didn't rig it optimally. Let me know if you need to borrow my tether ball pole. :roll:
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Progress. I found this link, in a post of mine in a thread called "Spring fever":

Unfortunately, it seems to have expired.

There's also this, in the same thread:

Jim Akins wrote:So, here is how I easily rolled my hull by myself

I think those are the photo ID numbers from before the new software. Number 49 up there is the photo I was thinking of, if anyone knows how to get at it.
Alan

Postby Moose » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I did it with 3 friends, two tires, some 4x4's, and a ladder.

Put some fabric over the tires so they don't mar the hull.

The picture "Alan" was trying to display:

What a sharp looking boat!
Moose

Postby Alan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Cool! Thanks, Moose. Yeah, I was pretty impressed with that paint job too.
Alan

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Oh my, I've been thinking about painting my boat and then decided it really didn't look THAT bad. Now I'm not so sure… Well, maybe I shouldn't go there. After all, it's not just the boat that could use some paint around here.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Quick aside on images: The new software doesn't use the "thumb" instruction any more. If you know the ID number (say 1217) you can write:
Code: Select all
[album]1217[/album]
to show an image from the album with the new software. Or, if it's one of yours, you can simply click the Gallery button and select it from the popup. (For more details/discussion see the appropriate thread in the "website info" section).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 pm

K.C. Walker wrote:Oh my, I've been thinking about painting my boat and then decided it really didn't look THAT bad. Now I'm not so sure… Well, maybe I shouldn't go there. After all, it's not just the boat that could use some paint around here.

I just did it a year ago, but stuck to boring white...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:56 am

My boat got off the mooring with the previous owner and got into some rocks. the freeboard area is all scratched up, the hull is solid, but it doesn't look so bad when you're more than 12' away on the water. I tried some gelcoat repair but between the gray color being hard to color-match and not having great results I decided to let it be.

I would like to fair and paint it, but then the entire hull becomes a surface that has to be maintained. I'm not sure if I'm up for that. I'd like it to be yellow but my sails are purple, blue, and pink. so... Can't win.
Moose

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 pm

From the receipts I got with my boat I deduce that the paint job that came with the boat held up for something like a decade (on a dry sailed boat). The prep work for that one had been "indifferent" at best, because the gelcoat crazing was clearly visible...

The deck paint has done equally well. Sections not covered by tarp show some weathering, and there are isolated areas where paint is separating into layers, but, except for where it was scraped off (scratches or rubbing by sheets) it still covers the gel coat, also after more than a decade.

Paint does not last as well as gelcoat, but anecdotal evidence like this implies it should last quite well, not comparable to, say, varnish, in the level of maintenance required.

Unfortunately, paint formulations are changing rapidly, mainly because of environmental regulations, so it's impossible to get a recommendation out of past practice. However, magazines like Practical Sailor do run regular tests.

I drysail my boat, so I don't need an actual "bottom paint". When I repainted the hull last year, I used System Three's water reducible linear polyurethane. LPU paints are really abrasion resistant, as long as they are applied on properly prepared surface (otherwise they peel really easily).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions on careening the witout using the mast. I don't have an area (free of rocks) to careen the boat with the mast in place.

I'm trying to avoid repainting the hull. I would like to see if I can buff out the surface stuff on the sides. I also need to remove the old bottom paint. Since I trailer my boat, I don't need bottom paint. I'm hoping the bottom will be in good enough shape to not need new bottom paint.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Baysailer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Alan,

Check out the gallery, user DS180.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby Moose » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Yikes..
Moose

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks, Fred. I was wondering what was in the rest of the post.

My paint schedule for this season includes just the transom because it's pitted and really needs something done before the boat goes into the water. And there's still the Bondo on the bottom to be gotten rid of, and the shrouds and forestay and bowsprit and nav lights and battery wells and flotation material and motor mount to be installed, and the local reservoirs opened 10 days ago...
Alan

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement